Chapter 2

Closer

The next day, I expected Dante to be working in his office or somewhere but when I woke up, he was at the kitchen, readying his breakfast. Yes. His breakfast. Pinanood ko siya sa kaniyang ginagawa. Hindi ako makapaniwala na marunong pala siyang magluto. I underestimated his capabilities.

Nang matapos siya ay hinanda niya ang kaniyang kakainin. He was obviously a heavy eater.

"You don't expect me to prepare your food, yeah?"

Sa kahihiyan ay umiling ako at mabilis na tinalikuran siya. Calm down, Catalina.

"What? You're not gonna do it?" He asks which had me turning to look at him.

"Ang alin?"

"It's past breakfast already. Ano, nagda-diet ka?"

And for the first time narinig ko siyang nag Tagalog. It was rough though.

"No. Hindi ako nagda-diet," iling kong sagot at pinaglaruan ang hibla ng aking buhok. "Pagkatapos mong kumain saka na ako kakain."

"Why? Feeling uncomfortable being with me, Catalina?"

It was a question yet I know he intend to state it firmly. I never really cook, is that how he expects me to answer? And then what, embarrass myself?

"No. I-I just.. don't feel like eating."

I am about to take my leave when my stomach grumbles. That instant, I felt my cheeks burn in total embarrassment. I just want the floor to open and swallow me.

Hindi siya nagsalita at padabog na tumayo. Binuksan niya ang cabinet sa itaas ng lababo at kumuha ng instant noodles. I was surprised by the sudden action at hindi agad nakakilos. Nang maihanda na niya ang instant noodles ay naupo siya sa kanang bahagi, kung saan ako nakaupo kagabi at iniwan ang upuan na kanina lang ay inuupuan niya.

"Sit." He demanded with authority in his voice.

Napaawang ang binig ko. If he plans on letting me eat what he cooked, then.. he's eating the instant noodles? I mean, thank you.

Mabilis akong naupo nang makita ko ang seryoso niyang mukha.

"You never cook," he stated. I was wondering if he was questioning me but it turns out he was firm with his statement. When he didn't receive any response from me, siya na mismo ang nagsalita. "I figured that out." He grinned and shook his head. "The little princess of the Alfonso's."

Offended by his comment, uminom na lamang ako ng tubig. Nangibabaw ang pride ko kaya hindi ko nagawang galawin ang pagkain. Ngunit nagulat na lamang ako nang bigla niyang ihampas sa lamesa ang hawak na tinidor.

"Damn it. Stop being a spoil, Catalina."

Surprisingly, I was able to stand up. Instead of firing him words, I walked out.

"Catalina!"

His voice roared and I stopped in my tracks. His rough hand reached my arms and pulled me towards him.

"I won't tolerate this kind of behaviour especially inside my house. Do you hear me?"

"Anong gusto mong gawin ko, it's crystal clear that you don't want me here, Dante." I said, emphasizing his name. "Do you really expect me to jump and dance because of your insults?"

My lips tremble, my eyes burning at the traitorous tears.

Parang napaso siya at mabilis na hinawi ang braso ko. He grunted, frustrated and then walked out from me. I saw how he ran his hands on his disheveled hair. He mumbled a curse and he was out of my sight.

"Guess what, siya pa ang may ganang mag walk out." Naiinis kong saad saka tiningnan ang nanginginig kong kamay.

At dahil nga gutom ako, kumuha nalang ako ng ibang cup noodles at sinunod ang ginawa kanina ni Dante. I ate alone in the dining table at tiningnan na lamang ang nakahandang agahan na niluto nito. I don't know if he was being miserable or I am being miserable.

When I finished my late breakfast, I decided to do my usual routine in the morning. Bored and alone, I went out for a walk. The front garden was big but when I went to the back, it was bigger and fancier. Mas maraming bulaklak at malalaking puno. I didn't know Dante is the type of man who invests for nature. It's naturally beautiful. The heat from the sun doesn't burn than the usual I felt from the City I am born.

Hindi ko na namalayan ang oras sa paglalakad, ni hindi ko na matandaan kung saan ang daan pabalik dahil mukhang konekta ang garden nito sa forest.

Tired and thirsty, I stopped underneath a tree and relaxed. I didn't even notice that I fell asleep. My head was spinning when I woke up, it was already getting darker and the sound of the birds were heard, flying from a distance, making their way to their new destination. The branches and leaves moved in sync as the wind passes by. I felt relaxed but then, I was so stupid to even realize that it was already evening and the last time I remember was me roaming around the area when it was still daytime.

I watched as the once blue sky turned dark. Walking through the forest wasn't easy, until I came in contact with a flashlight. Noong una ay hindi ko makilala kung sino ang nagmamay-ari ng flashlight hanggang sa ilayo nito ang ilaw na nakadirekta sa mata ko.

"What the hell, Catalina Alfonso! Are you fucking serious right now?"

The familiar voice roared, angered by my sudden presence. His chest rumbled in a manly-like manner as the moonlight strikes his chest covered with a thin clothing, the muscles almost visible before my eyes.

"Why are you so mad? Can you at least calm down when talking to me?"

"Calm down? Really, little Alfonso, calm down?" He cursed under his breath repeatedly at marahas na binitiwan ang flashlight dahilan upang mag on at off ito, marahil ay nagalaw ang battery nito sa loob. Naglakad siya palapit sa'kin habang paatras naman ako. Kita ko ang kaniyang mga tauhan mula sa kaniyang likuran na may hawak ding flashlights, kita ko pa ang iba na armado at halatang naghahanda sa pag atake.

"You were gone when I came back in the kitchen Catalina and you expect me to calm down?" He growled, his body tense as he trapped me in between a large trunk and his own body. "If I may remind you what exactly you are doing here, little Alfonso. You are under my custody and you are my responsibility. Ibinilin ka sa akin ng ama ko na kabilin-bilinan ng pinakamamahal mong ama na hinding-hindi ka dapat nawawala sa paningin ko!" He growled. "Responsibilidad ko ang kaligtasan mo, Catalina. If you find it hard following my rules and obeying me, find someone else who can protect you with high security and can ensure your safety in any circumstances."

I may have seen him angry over small matters but never like this. Hindi ko maipaliwanag ang kabang nadarama habang magkalapit ang aming katawan. His harsh breathing touching my face, halos malanghap ko na rin ang amoy niyang nagpapawala ng inhibisyon ko. Admiring the way he smells, I momentarily forgot why he was there, pinning me against a tree.

"I.." my mouth went dry as I stared back at those dark blue eyes, the owner seems to be calming down in every second. "I'm sorry."

Yumuko ako at agad na naghanap ng hangin, masyado siyang malapit sakin at kahit ang kaonteng paghinga ay nahihirapan ako. When I gained control of my composure, mabilis ko siyang itinulak palayo sakin pero hindi man lang siya nagalaw kahit konte.

"What you did was dangerous, Catalina."

"You see, feeling ko naman kasi nasa loob parin ako ng perimeter. I was still careful--"

He pressed his body impossibly closer to me making me shut my own mouth, his breath mixing with mine.

"Feeling? Feeling mo, Catalina? Well, damn that feeling mo because I.." he trailed off, realizing what he had just said. "We almost lost you. I don't want you inside my perimeter, I want you inside my house, fully protected where you are unharmed." He growled which sent me to the edge.

Nanginginig ang kamay kong tinulak siya ng mahina.

"I'm so sorry, Dante. Hindi na ito mauulit pa," with lips trembling, I reach out for his clenched fist. "I'll call Papà and tell him to fetch me up. Alam ko naman na ayaw mo na andito ako and I'm sure your father will understand."