9

They stayed on the floor for a long time.

Valerie had fallen asleep and had actually really fallen asleep. Hadn't just laid there and closed her eyes and thought about Harry and how his voice sounded when he was drunk, or about the sleepy mornings filled with black coffee and lazy kisses, or about how he liked to sleep on her stomach with his arms around her waist.

No.

Instead she just thought of nothing, of darkness, of sleep- and for the first time in a long time, Valerie just slept.

Louis wasn't asleep, though. It was eight o'clock and he was nowhere near tired, but seeing his little sister so obviously broken kept him down there on the floor with her, holding her, rocking her tight against his chest. He had always hated it when Delilah or Valerie got upset, even when he was younger and shitty and purposely hurt them, he always felt bad afterwards, always told them to stop their crying and give him a smile.

And he couldn't help but wonder if the bastard that had hurt his little sister so badly felt guilty like he always had, because, Louis thought, just look at her. Just. Fucking. Look. At. Her.

She looked like she hadn't slept in days. She was skinny. She was miserable.

But Louis remembered her as this crazy electric ball of light, like a star, who smiled so wide her cheeks ached, and who danced like a fucking maniac when she was drunk, and who was just so in love with her own simple life that she left no room to be sad, or to be broken, or to be upset. Louis couldn't fathom how someone could just suck that energy out of her. How some stupid fucking boy could manage to break her into two.

And how he could dare do that and not feel guilty about it.

Sighing, Louis looked towards the bed and thought it best that he moved Val to it. His arms were aching now and his legs had gone numb a while ago.

Slowly, softly, he shifted positions and he picked his sister up and placed her easily onto the bed. He lifted the duvet and covered her little body with it, and closed the door as he left the room.

Valerie remained asleep as he walked down the hall, anger sweating from his palms as he got to his room, slid his phone out of his pocket, and found Harry Styles in his contacts.

It rung out until it went to voicemail, but Louis didn't care.

"Fuck you," he seethed down the line as he paced back and forth across the room. "You fucked her up, you've completely fucked her up, you selfish fucking bastard."

He turned off his phone and ran rough hands over his face, a few seconds later swinging his fist into the dry wall.

__

Song: The Night We Met by Lord Huron

"I had all and then most of you, some and now none of you."