History (1/2)

"I'll be back, I promise," Adrien whispered as he held Marinette in his arms tightly

Marinette sobbed, wrapping her arms around him, not wanting to let go, "Adrien, this is the war we're talking about, you can't promise that."

Adrien gave her a small smile, "I'm Chat Noir, remember? No one can kill Chat Noir."

Marinette glared up at him, "Are you stupid? This isn't a joke anymore! You're going to an actual war, not street fights!"

He chuckled, kissing her forehead, "Just look at it this way. I'm going to Normandy for vacation for a few years then I'll be back then we'll be married and I'll stop joining wars."

Marinette clenched her fists, burying her head on his chest, "You stupid alley cat. If you don't come back, I'll go there to Normandy and kill you a second time."

"There's no point in doing that, my Lady. I promise that I'll be back." He smiled softly at her

Marinette pouted, still not wanting to let go.

"How did you even convince your father to let you do this?" She whispered

Adrien ran his hand along Marinette's hair, trying toccalm her down by playing with her locks, "I didn't. He doesn't know about this."

"Did you seriously think he wouldn't notice that you're gone?" She asked

He shrugged lightly, "I bet he won't."

"You can back out, you know. You don't have to do this. A perk of being a part of the elites is immunity over being forced into war." She muttered

"True but if you were allowed to join it, I know you would too," he replied, "but right now, they need Ladybug, the vigilante who always saves people and even if I'm not here, I know that you'd do your not-so duty too."

"But I'm not as reckless as you who is really going to war," she responded, "this-." She sighed, "If I had known this would happen, I would've stopped you the first time I met you."

"Like that's going to stop me, my Lady." He gave a low laugh

There were sirens then, calling out to all of the men who were with their families and loved ones. Adrien pressed a kiss on Marinette's forehead once more before wriggling out of her grasp. He grabbed her hands tightly, pressing a kiss on each hand.

"I love you, don't you ever forget that," He told her, "And I would like to still have you even during this war. I trust you and all but you're mine, right? Only mine?"

Marinette cracked a small grin, nodding, "Yes, I'm only yours, minou."

His smile dissipated then he placed his forehead against hers.

"They told us that this could last about two to three years only so," he trailed off

She placed her hands to his cheeks, "Then I'll be waiting. In two to three years, you'll find me at the bakery, waiting for you to come back and then we'll continue whatever this is."

"Whatever this is?" He chuckled lightly, "You mean to say, for the two years that we've known each other, you didn't know that we're soulmates?"

"Shut up, alley cat, we've been like this for three months." She grinned, "But, like I was saying, whatever this is, I'm fine with it. We're gonna come to terms with it when you get back."

"Alright then, I'll proclaim to everybody who asks that I have a 'whatever-this-is' with the prettiest girl in all of France," he stated, "I really have to get going then, my Lady."

"Until we meet again," she whispered

"Until we meet again," he repeated then dove in to kiss her lips

She moved in sync with him, having been used to it because of the past three months. Whatever they were right now, Marinette was sure that she'd keep it, that it was worth the wait. What was two to three years after all? With her parents' bakery, which was now hers, and crime fighting constantly filling her days, she knew that she wouldn't even notice that the wait was over. It was going to be easy to wait for him so long as he didn't come back in a box.

He pulled away then pulled on his hood to cover at least until his eyes. No one can know that Adrien Agreste was going to battle until they were there. They would refuse to let him join, all being scared of his father. He patted his right then felt the sheath of the sword he'd named Plagg.

He offered her one last smile before walking out of the small alley they'd taken refuge for a while.

He would be back. He promised.

•••

She had been sweeping the floor of the bakery, too busy minding her own business (ba dum tss), when news came to her. People started running towards the north and Marinette, one who wasn't much for gossip and rumors, didn't actually care.

"They're back." A toothy grin from her father was what she saw, "We won."

"Who's back?" She asked, putting the broom back in its own small room

"The war's over, darling!" He exclaimed, running to his daughter to hug her

"Wait? Really?" Marinette's heart started to pound quickly

She never received any letter from him so that was always good news and according to Adrien, they were required to write those.

Once her father let her go, she immediately ran outside, a grin tearing her face apart.

They are back.

It kept on repeating in her mind as she saw the crowd she was nearing. It seemed like a mantra now. But that didn't matter. All that mattered was the fact that France won and he was here. He was back.

She looked around frantically, searching for that tuft of blond hair she couldn't find anywhere else.