Don't Eat The Cookies: Part Two

Chapter 13

Don't Eat The Cookies: Part Two

Ryan found Alice near the pool. He sat down with her, "Are you okay?" He asked. He shivered as the bitter air flew around them.

Alice sighed, "I will be when I find out whether she's okay or not." Ryan snaked his arm around her in the cold, she snuggled into him. He was like a warn teddy bear in this weather.

"Hayley's in good hands. I'm sure if something happened, we would be told pretty quickly," Ryan assured. The logic made perfect sense.

Alice nodded, knowing he was right. But there was the thought of something bad happening always kept coming floating back into her mind. They just sat in a comfortable silence in the cold for a while. No words were needed at that point, they just enjoyed each other's company on the cold night.

Alice knew that she wouldn't be able to do the show without Hayley, she was the one who kept the whole cast together and she knew that no one could replace her. There was something different about Hayley that made her stand out from the crowd. She couldn't put her finger on what it was, but she knew there was something that made Hayley who she was.

When they got up, Alice was feeling tried and cool. Ryan didn't let go of her, his arm was still around her. They looked at each other in the lowlight of the city. Sparks were flying as Ryan made an impulse move.

That was the moment that Alice got her first kiss.

____________________________________________________________

Hayley felt heavy and groggy. She opened her eyes to an unfamiliar location, a heart rate monitor beeping rhythmically in her ears. The smell of chemicals, soap and medication filled her nose, she knew then that she was in hospital.

"She's awake," a voice said. Hayley looked to where to sound came from. All she saw was Ben, who looked like he had dodged a bullet.

"Thank god you're okay," He said, looking over her. It was an ugly sight to see such a sweet girl all wired up to machines to make sure she was alive.

Hayley sat up, she had a feeling about what was going on, but she knew that she should ask, "What's going on? Why am I here?"

A nurse that was by her bed answered that, "You had a serious allergic reaction to walnuts. But you should be okay, heart rates fine, your blood pressure is fine too. It could've ended very badly."

Ben looked guiltily at Hayley as the nurse laughed, "What's with this show? I thought only the King was supposed to die."

Dene looked at the woman in a strange way. She explained, "Big fan of the show. I'm seeing it next Saturday night."

Dene and the nurse were talking as Hayley slowly woke up and pulled herself around the situation. Ben put his head in his hands. "This is all my fault."

Hayley put her hand on his arm, "No it's not. I'm okay, seriously."

Ben nodded as Harley patted his arm. She knew that once she could leave the hospital Ben would be feeling better.

Clare arrived at Hayley's bedside with a coffee for Dene, and hot chocolates for herself, Ben and Hayley.

"How are you feeling?" Clare asked Hayley.

She took a sip of her hot chocolate, the watery drink burning her tongue. "I'm okay. Just tried."

Clare took a sip of her drink and put it down. The hot chocolate they get given is so much better than the water the hospital sold. "I'm glad, I'm so happy you're okay. We were all worried sick about you."

"Why?"

Clare tilted her head to the side. "Do you remember anything?"

"No. All I remember is eating a walnut cookie. Everything else is a blur," Hayley explained.

"Well, long story short, you nearly died, gave everyone a shock and you're now alive."

Hayley rolled her eyes at Clare's not so slight exaggeration of the story, "I'm fine now though, isn't that the main thing?"

Dene came over to the bed, "You seem okay," he said putting his hand on Hayley's forehead.

Hayley yawned, "I'm fine," she said, her eyelids getting heavy. She knew that sleeping would help her get better faster.

"You'll be here for a little while longer, with the way you're going, you'll be gone by 3am," Dene said, thanking god that she was okay. Being a teacher he had seen things like this go from bad to worse and it was not a pretty sight.

Hayley fell asleep soon afterwards, her recovery was pretty quick. By about 4am, a little later than expected, but it was better than having to stay for longer, she was given the okay to go back to the hotel. Dene couldn't drive them (he was a little nervous of getting behind the wheel again) so Dene, along with Hayley, Ben and Clare were taken back in a taxi. Hayley fell asleep soon into the trip, leaning on Ben as she did so. Dene took this chance to thank Clare.

"Clare, you should be so proud of yourself. You saved Hayley's life. This world needs more people like you," Dene said, as Clare began to fall asleep herself. She smiled at Dene's comment and she fell asleep.

Dene looked at the three teens in the back. He smiled and couldn't be more thankful that they were a part of this production.