Chapter 10: Vitani

Kopa sat at the edge of priderock, three moons later. He hadn't spoken much and he had tried his best not to eat. It just didn't seem right that he could continue to live his life while Byrose's life had ended, because of him.

"Kopa, I think that we need to talk," murmured a voice behind him.

Kopa reluctantly sat up as he turned to look at who was speaking, even though he already knew. It was his father and he knew that this conversation had been coming. He reluctantly looked to him and nodded.

Simba came over and sat beside his son. "Kopa, you can't keep doing this to yourself."

"Doing what," asked Kopa dumbly.

"Doing this," answered Simba. "Not eating, not going on, not living. Do you really want to remain idle here?"

"I'm not idle," snapped Kopa as he bared his teeth in a snarl. "I just don't want to do any of those things. What does it matter to you anyway?!"

Simba would have usually reprimanded his son for saying such things, but he decided against it. He didn't want things to get any worse between the two of them. "Tell you what, how about you take Kiara exploring. She's been dying to go and I have a lot of things to do today."

"But, dad-"

"Not all day. Just for half the day and then you can come back. I doubt she'll last that long anyway. Okay, can you do that for me," asked Simba.

Kopa let out a groan before he rolled his eyes and nodded. "Alright," he muttered as he rose to his paws and marched forward with his eyes rolling. "Come on, scrap!"

Kiara looked up from where she was playing gently with Nala. She giggled before she bounded forward, nearly jumping on his back and bringing him down.

Kopa spiraled around and bared his teeth at his sister. "Listen here. You will follow my rules and do what I say, got it," he growled angrily.

Kiara gulped as she took a step back with almost tears in her eyes. "Y-Yes," she stammered.

Kopa narrowed his eyes to slits as he continued forward on ginger paws. "Good," he breathed as he streaked forward. "Follow me."

Kiara bounded after him, careful about the distance that she had between herself and her brother. The last thing that she wanted to do was aggravate him anymore. "Where are we going?"

"I don't know and I really don't care," muttered Kopa over his shoulder. "As long as it's not here!"

Kiara looked around before she saw a butterfly fluttering above. She wiggled her haunches before she leaped into the air, clasping her paws together. She laughed, before she realized that she hadn't caught anything. Her head hunt as the butterfly came back into view. She smiled broadly as she lowered back down into a crouch and continued to leap after the butterfly.

Meanwhile, Kopa continued forward before he realized that there wasn't a crunch of paws behind him. He looked around before he caught sight of her prowling around after the butterfly.

"Unbelievable," he grumbled as he stalked forward after her. He had led her a way that brought them a little close to the Outlands and he didn't want her to accidentally cross the border. The last thing that he wanted was something that could clearly have been avoided happening between them.

He bounded after her and looked around. "Kiara! Get back here!"

Kiara turned around and rolled her eyes. "No! You've been a bossyfur this entire time! You're not that much older than me and I don't have to listen to you," she called beck before she continued to branch after the butterfly.