Chapter 40

Chapter 40

I'm Nephilum.

I'm the Nephilum.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

That stomach gash healed seriously fast after the stimulation. I had thought that maybe the wound hadn't gone deep, but within hours there was no sign of a scar whatsoever.

Cambions did have heightened senses, but not to the point where you can hear a person whispering at the back of the room, or that very first day when I could hear my dad muttering from downstairs.

When we ventured into West Wing the first time around, the spirit listened to me when I told it to stop. I had thought of it as a coincidence, but it was really because I had the Nephilum power of commanding spirits.

My lips. Blood-red lips were probably the Nephilum equivalent of green-ringed eyes. I breathe a palpable sigh from finally solving that mystery. That would mean my Nephilum powers came in the same time my Cambion ones did. But the marking didn't.

I tug my sock up and over the marking so it isn't visible. It wasn't there when I was dressing myself only less than an hour ago. It only just appeared.

Slowly, it dawns. What had happened in the last hour that could have caused a Nephilum marking to suddenly appear? I killed Dr. Hood, a demon. Killing demons is what Nephilum do. Markings have to be earned.

I gnaw on the inside of my cheek. But that can't be right. I'm already a Cambion. Didn't Jesse say that if a Cambion and a Nephilum were to get together, their child would be a human? I have Cambion abilities. How can I have Nephilum ones too? Besides, there is no way my dad of all people is Nephilum.

At least Aunt Nelly should be relieved now. All along, there hasn't been a spy. The Nephilum had no idea she was even the Nephilum, though the clues were all there from the very beginning-starting from the moment I looked into my bathroom mirror. I just couldn't see them. I could sense Dr. Hood was a demon from instinctive fear. I suck in a sharp inhale as another thought occurs. I could feel the other Nephilum during the attack. I remember the back of my hand had started throbbing strangely.

The question is: how? How do I have a Nephilum bloodline in me?

A buzz runs through the floor beneath me. I feel a trembling, almost like the universe is urging me to hurry up and connect all the dots so I can get out of here. When really, it's probably Aunt Nelly doing dodgy things.

Okay, I have to think. I have to figure all this out.

Ignoring the fact that I have no idea what other powers the Nephilum have (I barely know about the full powers of Cambions), I don't know how being both can possibly work.

Cambions and Nephilum are made from absorbing demonic or angelic essence into what should be an extra non-existent chromosome. How can both sides possibly fit into me? It doesn't work that way.

If a Cambion and a Nephilum had a kid, ignoring the fact that they hate each other, both sides, demonic and angelic would cancel out, and revert to human.

Like a bug worming its way into my brain, I begin to try put together all the loose pieces of puzzles I've shoved into the back of my head.

My dad is completely human. He is unrelated to this. My mom, however, is definitely related to this, along with the photograph and the message I got. There's the fact that she has never seen her father, and though that's not exactly uncommon, when her mother is a demon, you get suspicious.

What is that other piece of information that has been bothering me? I try to recall it. Is it Ruby's message before she died? No, I solved that. It was to read her mind and find Garnet. But...