Chapter 39

Chapter 39

"Where are Vee and Elliot?" Courtney snaps.

I want to applaud her for her bravery. Stupid, reckless bravery, but still bravery nonetheless.

"They're here," Aunt Nelly says, infuriatingly smug.

A growl rumbles from Courtney. She shoves both her hands-even though they are clasped tightly together-at the floor by Aunt Nelly's feet.

Aunt Nelly sighs.

"Ignoring the fact that the roots and plants you're trying to call is up there," she says, pointing towards the ceiling. "You can stop trying. I've used a bigger variable of the alchemy behind your anklets to block the entire room. You can't use any ability."

"Apart from energy," I say quietly. She wouldn't block her own power.

Aunt Nelly glances at me, a mocking reassuring smile tugging her lips up. "I thought of that. The wrist binds block energy."

"We are still wearing the anklets," I say, monotonous. "Why go through the trouble of blocking the entire room?"

"You think I don't know you kids have been working down the anklets?"

Actually, yes.

"I was hoping you'd be too stupid to notice," Jesse remarks from the other side of the room.

"If you know, then what's the point in keeping it going?" I ask. "Why not have let us use it?"

"I couldn't care less if the kids are using their powers in the House," she says. "Telling you not to is just a ruse to keep up what is supposed to be my purpose. Even with them, there is no escape."

I swallow down a lump.

"Stop changing the subject," Courtney cries. "What did you do with Vee?"

It is with Courtney's comment that I realize something. What exactly is Aunt Nelly waiting for? She's still talking, and it's all at her own will.

Aunt Nelly tilts her head at Courtney. "Why do you need Vee? I have someone you'd want more right here."

I slowly turn my head to the green-streaked girl, trying to find a reason for the silence she has fallen into. Beside her, someone has appeared, shimmering and floating.

The spirit, a boy with cropped blond hair in normal clothing, moves to stand in front of her like a bodyguard. He holds his arm out, lower lip trembling, trying to protect Courtney from the brute sight of what Aunt Nelly is about to bring forth.

But Courtney can see right through the boy, and has no idea he is there.

So when the mindless version of the boy, Brian, walks forward with a blank gaze, the spirit of Brian can do nothing but let silent, ghostly, tears run down his face.

Courtney covers an aghast mouth with her hands.

"No!" she screams. "I don't want to see him! That's not him!"

Spirit Brian is trying hard to comfort her. She doesn't feel a thing, only the horror of seeing the body of her dead boyfriend walking around. I visibly see Courtney shut down, the only sound echoing out her mouth being compressed whimpers.

If only I could lend her my power now, just so she can see the real Brian right now, I would.

"Get him away," Courtney whispers, shutting her eyes. "Please."

Aunt Nelly commands Brian back into his line. "What a shame," she sighs.

"You can stop wasting time," I say, my teeth clenched. "What are you waiting for? Get on with killing us already."