Three

I've re-written chapter three! So re-read!

Three

Despite the nightmares, Thea's kindness was unwavering towards me, and still, the familiar feeling of loneliness stuck to me. Every new person I met I viewed with a negative attitude. They were too nerdy or too short. Never good enough for me to form any sort of relationship with them. My first day of classes was filled with orientation lectures and introductions to people whom I had no intention to actually socialise with. I'd stuck with Thea and Trish when I wasn't in class, and sat alone when I was. There was nothing that could sway me from the belief that I would be alone for the remainder of my time at Kensington University. I hadn't even left my home town to go there, I should have had friends to stay in touch with, the odd person I recognised at the school, and yet I was alone. I had no one.

I picked at my food throughout dinner with Thea and her friends, making little conversation. I felt a light tap on my shoulder as I pushed an over cooked canteen carrot around my plate.

"I get the food isn't great, but who in college can afford anything else?" Deacon smiled at me, reaching over to my plate to take said carrot and pop it into his mouth. This was the first meal I'd had with those I'd met at the party, and the majority welcomed me with open arms, however I got the feeling that some of Thea's friends felt a little irritated at the sudden interest shown in the newbie. I didn't blame them thought. I was a freshmen, and nothing particularly special. I wasn't funny nor bold. I was plain and reserved, despite my slightly wild appearance. Deacon tugged on a strand of my copper hair.

"Georgie, snap out of it, dude." He said, his face suddenly serious. "I won't talk to you if you sulk." He told me, stealing a second carrot.

"That wasn't very discrete." I stated, stealing a fry off of his plate. This went back and forth until I ran out of carrots, earning a pout off of Deacon. "Excuse me." I said, pushing myself up from the table. I smiled and Deacon and promised to text Thea as I left the canteen. Something about Deacon seemed so familiar, and acting like that, so comfortably, threw me off. When I'd spoken to him the night of the party, after Trish and Hutch started a screaming match, I'd noticed it. It wasn't something I could explain, just a feeling, like having a word on the tip of your tongue, but instead, it was a feeling. A notable presence but no way to describe it. As I stepped outside, a harsh wind struck me, biting at my exposed extremities. I wrapped my arms around my middle as I walked slowly up the gravel path towards the dorms. I wasn't ready to go back to the cheery yellow rooms, but I had little knowledge of the grounds and worried I'd get lost. I grudgingly started towards the dorms, deciding I would take a shower before crashing. I knew I wouldn't sleep for much of the night, so it seemed logical to try and get at least an hour in before the dreams started. Despite this thinking, after about twenty minutes of walking, I found myself staring into the dark, still water of a fountain I hadn't seen on my way in. It was tall, around 9 feet, and wide, sitting in the centre of a small, circular courtyard. White paving stones set into the lush grass formed paths at four points around the circle, splitting the lawn into quarters. My toes pushed up against the wall of the fountain, the cool water unmoving below me. I sat on the ledge, blowing gently on the water, causing delicate ripples to billow out onto the once-still surface. The small waves swelled as they reached the rings of orange light in the centre of the stone fountain, bouncing back ever so slightly before fizzling out, the surface stilling once again. The cold air continued to whip my hair and cool me to my bones, however it went unnoticed for what seemed like hours. The stillness of the water and the quietness of the hidden courtyard enthralled me, silencing the dark thoughts that remained from my nightmares. They nagged at me, pulling at the delicate nerves in my brain, but the quietness dulled them. It pushed them away, hushed them until I had the confidence to confront them. I felt safe at that fountain, like not even the darkest of daemons could touch me.

Hours passed before I was forced to return to the dorms. I just sat there, unmoving and thoughtless until the cold and the exhaustion got the better of by me. I remained as thoughtless throughout the night. The nightmares didn't interfere, and the darkness that came with sleep was not threatening like it had been before. It was welcoming, warming. I welcomed it.

Hellooo! This chapter is dedicated to my dear writer and sort-of editor 'leahdurant98'! I want to thank her for helping me out with my story so far, and for pointing out my errors. It's always nice to get a bit of suport, and Leah deserves it, so please go and have a read of 'regeneration'. It's already gotten me addicted and the drama is still to come. Everyone can use this support, especially us lot who aren't fanning, so if you like what you're reading, and this goes for both mine, Leah's and those who I haven't mentioned, please vote and comment, because it's what will push us to continue writing. 

Thanks! Love, 

Sarah xox