21| train rides with dementors

Start from the beginning

I turned to see Harry and Hermione outside the door.

"It's about time!" I said and smiled, scooting over so Hermione could sit next to me. Ron doing the same for Harry.

"Who is that? " Harry asked.

"I'm not sure." I said glancing over at the sleeping man once again.

"Is he dead?" Hermione asked me.

"Probably not. Anyway, what have you been up to lately? I feel like I haven't seen you guys in ages!" I said, trying to change the subject.

"Nothing much, I did accidentally blow my Aunt up which caused her to float away though." Harry said causing all of us to laugh.

"I got a cat!" Hermione said smiling.

"Yeah, a devil cat." Ron muttered, causing Hermione to scowl at him.

Letting out a soft laugh, I shook my head in amusement. It was nice to be back with the three of them. However, my smile soon began to fade when I felt a cold breeze brush past my hair.

"Hey, do you guys feel that?" I asked the group, my body beginning to shiver.

As soon as the words left my mouth, a layer of ice began to freeze over the windows while the lights flickered above. Then, in a sudden movement, the train halted to a stop and the entire cabin went pitch black. Several high-pitched screams echoed throughout the train, which I assumed had come from the first years.

"I'm gonna to go see what's going on. I'll be right back." I said, standing up and walking out of our compartment.

As soon as I exited the compartment, I took out my wand and whispered, "Lumos."

Cautiously making my way through the dimly lit hallway, I tried my best to see what was causing the disturbance. However, I didn't make it far. As soon as I approached the other end of the hallway, I tripped over an unknown item on the floor, causing me to harshly fall on the ground. Even worse, the item was rather sharp, which cut my knee in the process.

"Goddamnit," I cursed, touching the cut with my finger, causing red gooey substance to appear on my hand.

I then heard footsteps coming towards me, and I froze. Quickly reaching over to my wand, I grasped it in my hand and pointed the light at the figure.

"Y/n?" A familiar voice asked.

Letting out a sigh, I put my wand down when I realized the unknown figure was Draco Malfoy.

"No, Voldemort." I said sarcastically.

Draco chuckled at my sarcastic remark and then bent down, examining my knee.

"We need to get you hel-" Draco stopped in mid sentence, his eyes widening.

"What?" I asked.

"D-d" He stuttered, pointing to the other side of me.

Following his gaze, I turned around and noticed a ghostly looking creature moving towards us at an alarming rate. I didn't have to think twice about what it was. It was a Dementor. Immediately grabbing my waist, Draco held onto me tightly and dove into the nearest compartment, dodging the creature and shutting the door.

"That was close." He said.

I looked up to see a few Hufflepuffs staring at us wide eyed. I then realized that I was practically on top of Draco.

"Uh...it's not what it looks like." I said laughing awkwardly.

They looked at one another and then back at us, still not saying anything.

I rolled my eyes and got off Draco, slightly opening the door of the compartment.

"Y/n! What are you-" I cut Draco off.

"Shhhh!" I whispered, then looked back out.

As I looked down the hall I could see Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I's compartment. The Dementor was in there. I was about to get up when I was stopped by a flash of blue light. All of a sudden, the Dementor was gone, and the train started moving again.

"I'm going to go over and see what just happened." I told Draco.

"What about your knee?" He asked.

"It'll be fine." I said.

Without another word, exited the Hufflepuff's compartment and made my way back to my own. Once approaching the area, I immediately noticed that the unknown man, who we had previously believed to be dead, was awake.

"Uh...what'd I miss?"

"Y/n! There you are! We were worried!" Hermione called, letting out a sigh of relief as her eyes trailed down to my leg. "What's happened to your leg?"

"I fell..." I trailed off, my eyes then locking onto Harry's limp body. "Oh my god, is he alright?"

"He'll be fine," The man assured me, letting out a deep breath. "Harry was kissed by a Dementor. Luckily, I knew the spell to block it."

"Um...I don't mean to be rude, but what's your name?" I asked.

"Professor Lupin. I'm the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." He said to us.