1.

"As I'm sure you all know, winter, and soon spring, sports season has graced us with its presence, and we need people to start writing articles," Mrs. Navone tells her yearbook/newspaper class. Most everyone in the class groaned since they weren't the biggest fans of sports, and if they were, they wouldn't talk about it. A few students on the staff played outside of school, but only one person on the staff played for North Shore. He was the best quarterback North Shore had ever seen and one of the best in the state, but he also just so happened to be an incredible writer. Dayton Kalani, almost every girl in the class had a crush on him, unknowingly that he was already dating someone.

The class turned to him, hoping he would write the sports articles, uneager to do it themselves, but before they could say anything to him, Mrs. Navone spoke out. "I know you all are comfortable with what you've been writing, but I want you to step out of your comfort zone. Push yourself because it could lead to something amazing." The class was annoyed, clearly unhappy with Mrs. Navone's announcement. "Lennen, I would like you to write about the school's baseball and soccer star, Jonas Costello, as it's apparent many people at our school like to know what is going on with him. I want in depth articles on him from both sports." Lennen could feel the jealous glares radiating from every girl in the room. She started slowly sinking in her seat, wanting to lose the attention. Lennen had never written anything about sports. The last three years she had always been writing about the arts or music programs, shining spotlights on students other than athletes. 

"You should be happy you get to spend time with Jonas," Lennen's best friend, Sawyer Boman, says, catching up to her as they leave class. "He's ridiculously hot!" Lennen rolled her eyes at her best friend, even though she wasn't wrong. Jonas Costello was the hottest guy at North Shore, no arguments, but that wasn't something Lennen took into consideration. Despite being the Vice President of Student Council, which required her to go to all sporting events, she's never had a conversation with the soccer/baseball captain. Not to mention, he has been dating the head cheerleader, Summer Nikolson, for the past year and a half. "I swear you're the only girl who doesn't have a crush on Jonas."

"I don't know him. Why would I have a crush on a guy I don't know? For all we know he could be an absolute nightmare." Lennen questions her friend. Neither of them were friends with the guy, so how would they even know? Lennen had nothing against him, and wasn't trying to be rude. Ask anyone and they'll tell you that Lennen's the nicest girl they have ever met. Lennen was just being cautious, now knowing how much time she would have to be spending with Jonas. What no one knew, not even Sawyer, was that Lennen had a small crush on Jonas. But it wasn't based off looks or personality. What captured her attention was his love for the sports he plays. Being apart of Student Council had given her the chance to attend all sporting events for the past three years, and during the soccer and baseball games, she could never seem to peel her eyes away from Jonas. It was clear to her that Jonas was in love with the game. She was attracted to the effort and dedication he put in every game. Lennen was never one to base off looks, she was different. She always found beauty in the drive people put into what they loved. 

"Well, you'll find out when you start writing your articles about him," Sawyer says with a smile on her face. Sawyer wanted her best friend to be happy, and for some reason she always had this thought in her mind that Lennen would be perfect with Jonas. They're opposite in so many ways, but they would compliment each other. If people asked her why she would see them being together, she wasn't sure if she could explain it. It was just something she could see happening. 

"Are you trying to imply something, Sawyer?" She could read her best friend like a book. Sawyer was always, let's just say, a little over ecstatic about boys, especially when it came to Lennen. Lennen wasn't a girl who would have a new boyfriend every month, like other girls at their school. She wouldn't date just anyone who showed her an ounce of attention. She liked things old school. She would swoon over old romantic movies where the couple would go on multiple dates before officially becoming a couple. She liked watching them slowly fall in love, realizing that what they really wanted was each other. She wanted a love that would last, a love like her parents. They were so happy, that at certain points it was a little sickening. Together for twenty years, still as much in love as they were when they were first together. 

"I just think you should give Jonas a chance." 

"Who said I wasn't going to give him a chance? And why does it sound like he's just asked me out for the sixth time after repeatedly telling him no?" The girls laughed as they walked into AP Environmental Science, APES, taking their normal seats in the back of the class.