Chapter Two

I stood at the front desk in the main office Dani had directed me to, tapping my nails on the high desk in front of me. I wasn't impatient, just mostly nervous. Every movement around me had me on high alert. I was used to the environment of my old classmates. I had to inhale a few calming breaths to relax me.

The lady that sat at the front desk handed me a few papers and described each to me. She seemed young to be working the front desk in a college, but by the way the dean watched her as she leaned over the desk, clearly it was way too easy for her to get the job. I rolled my eyes trying to focus on what she was telling me as she described my class schedule. She ended with a kind smile as she blew a piece of blonde hair out of her face and I gave a small giggle before giving her an equally kind smile and a thank you before heading out and down the halls.

I tried to follow the map given to me looking up and down from it as I observed the numerous classroom numbers. One thing I will say about all colleges, they are confusing as hell. I mean seriously, why should I have to get in my car to drive all the way across campus for literally three miles just to get to my next class. Thankfully I only had two classes outside the main building.

I looked down back at my map as I walked and found myself colliding with a surface all too firm yet soft to be a wall. I backed up my nose scrunched and eyes closed as I rubbed at my nose.

"Shit! sorry I wasn't paying attention." I opened my eyes as I was greeted with the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

What the hell did they put in the water here?

"My apologies as well, I was paying more attention to my phone than the halls." She chuckled slightly and her smile seemed so sweet and kind.

Her hair was chestnut brown, wet, and rested lightly against her shoulders. She smelled of chlorine water and her voice had an accent to it, Australian maybe? She towered over me as I observed her.

"Are you lost?" I realized I was staring at her as I cleared my throat.

"Ah yes actually, I was looking for studio art III class?"

her eyebrows raised at me and I smiled softly. "Art III? You must have talent to be in the class, I am lucky if I can manage a stick figure."

I laughed and for the first time in a while it was only slightly more genuine then my normal fake laugh. "It is what my degree is for so I hope I am."

She nodded with a smile, turning over a shoulder to point down the hall as she leaned slightly towards my height. "If you just go down the hall, just before the end on the right you will find the studio." I nodded and she looked at me again and I shifted under the weight of the stare.

"Um thank you and sorry again, I really gotta get to my class." I pushed past her quickly feeling my cheeks heat from the closeness of her body. Men I felt like I could chew up and spit out if I so please, but women... They could gladly destroy me.

"What's your name?" She turned in my direction and I looked over my shoulder as I continued to walk.

"Aspen!" I yelled back with a smile.

"Logan!" She shouted back, but I had already faced forward trying to find my class again. I smiled to myself, now Logan was something different.

***

Professor White was an elderly lady who looked to be around her mid 60's. I instantly picked up on her sweet, southern accent when she greeted me as I walked through the doors. I had arrived just minutes before the bell would ring and most of the class had already found their easels to work with.

"What's your name, 'darlin?" She questioned me as I walked in and looked at the eyes staring back at me.

"Aspen, Aspen Love." I said, trying to return her sweetness.

"What a unique name! It's beautiful and it's different from all the common names everyone seems to have these days. It's refreshing to hear something different from time to time!" She complimented, her pearly white fake teeth on display.

I gave her a thanks in reply, nodding, then walked over to an empty station, setting my things down to prep my station. It was towards the back and one of two empty seats.The other students surrounding me seemed to focus on whatever happened from the start of the day to when they made it to the class. Luckily, no one paid much attention as I took the station farthest away.

At 7:45 on the dot Professor white clapped her hands together, signaling everyone to settle in. I heard Professor Whitetalking to someone, but I was hardly focused on the conversation as I made sure my station was absolutely perfect and packed with all the necessities. Charcoal, pencils, water colors, all of my favorites

"Good morning everyone.." Professor Whitesaid Sweetly and the class replied.

"As most of you know this course is to prepare you for your entries into the masters art program . This semester we are going to be working on your skills and refining them to prepare your portfolio's as I know most of you plan to apply for a spot in the masters program." Some groans, but mostly excitement sounded throughout the class.

"Today we will be perfect on working on the details of the human body, and no ladies Mr. Dax will not be removing his clothes." Groans from the females of the class sounded, but my body froze and I looked up as I saw Professor White gestured Dax to the center of the class where a stool sat. He smiled brightly at her rolling up the sleeves of his now white button down. I had seen him minutes ago and he had changed so quickly to be here.

"Oh shush it ladies, may I remind you that not all art needs to be of a naked body?" Professor Whitesmirked and the class broke out in laughter. I gave a half smile, trying to make myself seem interested..

"I want you to study each and every fine detail." Professor White circled around where Dax stood. "Embrace the sharpness of his jaw line, the creases in his shirt and trousers, the shoes he wears all the way down to the fibers of each hair. See the outside, but also see the depth in each detail." My pencil found its way to settle between my teeth as my eyes roamed every detail.

"Aspen, you are new. Fresh perspective is always good, what do you see?" My head jerked up and my eyes went wide with alert as I pointed at myself with the pencil and Professor White shook her head.

"Well-" My eyes met his and he seemed to be staring right at me, watching me. "The lines of his smile seem to go slightly higher than one side, likely from a perpetual smirk he may wear. Handsome though. His shirt does have minor creases from where he has rolled his sleeves, but the chest of it fits smoothly against him, like it was freshly ironed." Maybe that is why I hadn't seen him in this attire before. "His right eyebrow is slightly more arched than his left, and the tattoo on his neck seems a bit darker than the ones exposing from his shirt, could mean the neck ones are slightly newer." I told myself the analysis was for the art, but I would be lying if I said he wasn't dashing to look at.

"Beautiful description, Aspen. Alright everyone, let's get to work." Professor White clapped her hands and the class began to find their tools marking the canvases. My eyes darted between my progressing work and Dax, and each time I looked up his eyes were fixed on me. I would look just long enough for the next detail before continuing on with my work until professor white dismissed us.

I looked towards my easel finishing the fine details, knowing I had about an hour before my next class. Dax walked to me and I kept my expression bored, pretending I hadn't noticed him. He leaned against the empty chair next to me and I found my confidence and formed something to say..

"Is there something I can help you with, Dax? " I kept my focus on my work, creating each fine detail.

"Just wanted to see what you created, it is always fun seeing yourself through another's eyes." He shrugged his shoulders leaning his palms on the slight bit of seat left on the stool between his spread legs.

"Well now you have." I smirked a bit, still not letting my focus fall to him.

"You're pretty observant there." He replied in a low deep voice. The tone made my spine tingle, but I didn't let the feeling show.

I sat back in my chair and nodded. "I'll let you in on a little secret... The more you notice the little things about someone." I set my charcoal down and blew a breath of air against the canvas to let the dust brush away.

I turned my head to look at Dax "the less secrets they have to hide.."