Chapter 8 - An aching heart

"Regina..." She whispered,

Her hand stroking the older woman's cheek ever so gently. Regina shivered against the touch, closing her eyes to brace herself for whatever was next. Her fingers tightened in grip around Emma's waist as she unconsciously pulled the woman even closer until their breath mingled and noses were touching. Regina felt lightheaded, driven by a growing need that made her lose control over her body. Both women were panting short breaths, timid in their movements and baffled by the momentum. Regina was the first to make a move and brought her hand up to cup the saviour's cheek, her thumb running along the curve of her cheekbone, watching the smile break out on the other woman's face in response. Emma swallowed hard when brown eyes looked at her thoughtfully, then down at her lips. Was this really happening? She felt her heart make a leap and was afraid she was going to have a heart-attack right on the spot and never have another chance of kissing Regina. She gathered enough courage to lean in and performed the lightest brush tentatively against Regina's lips. Then both women were startled by the nearing footsteps of their son. "Oh... sorry." Henry apologised, a little bewildered by the discovery. Regina quickly turned away from her son and the sheriff, fingers trailing her fingers across fresh memory that had left her lips tingling. Emma was still a little wonky on her legs, gaping at her son with a desperate need of words. "I... couldn't sleep so I wanted to get some warm milk." Henry explained, sensing the panic from both of his mothers. "I... should be heading home." Emma then said out of the blue and rushed for the exit. Regina acted like nothing had happened and chose to ignore the saviour's attempt to flee, walking into the kitchen to pour her son a glass of milk. "Goodnight..." Emma said before she freed the door from its lock and walked outside. "Mom!" Henry ran after the blonde in his pyjamas. "What are you doing?! You were going to kiss my mom!" Henry said.

Emma halted slightly in her walk. "Kid..." She began, "You'll understand once you're older."

"You love her, she loves you. What more do I need to understand?" Henry asked his voice slightly raised.

"It doesn't work like that Henry!" Emma spat out, a little louder than she first intended. A long sigh rolled from her lips as she entered the yellow bug. "You may stay at Regina's for the weekend, I'm sure she'd like that." Emma said before starting the car. "See ya kid." Henry watched the yellow car turning smaller and smaller in the distance until completely out of sight. He then headed back inside to find his other mother with her head settled on crossed arms that were resting on the dining table. "Mom..." Henry rubbed his hand across the crooked back of Regina. "You should stop punishing yourself."

"She doesn't need me in her life Henry." Regina said, her eyes watery and cheeks stained with tears. "The things I've done..." Regina lingered on her words, shaking her head in conviction. "I don't deserve her."

"But you love her!" Henry said.

Regina mustered a weak smile, her eyes pretty much confirming her son's belief.

"I think I'm going to get some sleep. And so should you little man." Regina said, making attempt to avoid the conversation by changing the subject.

"But..."

"End of discussion. Now drink your milk and go to bed." Regina strictly said, ignoring her son's weak protest and pouting.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

'Night five

That night, sleep didn't want to come, knowing that Emma wasn't around anymore. The hours passed like snails travelling through peanut butter and as the arrow hit 3 o'clock, Regina decided to give up and got out of bed. When had the blonde become so indispensable to her? Regina cursed her weakness. The old Regina didn't need anyone but her son. The old Regina had long forsaken the idea of true love. She had accepted her fate as a villain. If this was his way of punishing her, then the writer must have an odd sense of humour, she thought. She had never considered ever being attracted to the same sex before until now. Emma made her doubt all theories. Still... how long would it take to disappoint her? For her to revert back and destroy everything she holds dear along with it. She couldn't possibly put Emma through all that. Regina felt lost. The past would never stop haunting her. Innocent lives lost because of her hatred towards one little girl.