Chapter 7 - May I have this dance?

"Damn ants!" Regina spilled, sweeping her hand across the red and blue checked blanket to dispose of an army of insects. "Why did we have to settle down next to an anthill again?"

"Oh... didn't notice them. We'll just move the blanket." Emma motioned Henry to attend to the blanket then offered a hand to the mayor. "My lady." Regina returned the saviour a stare that could turn sweet into sour. In some way it could've been considered polite but Regina did not approve, neither did she trust the woman's intentions. After having moved to a different spot, Regina sat down again to prepare some snacks. "Mom, aren't you coming? Me and Emma are going to play hide and seek in the forest." Henry asked. Regina gave a smile. "Maybe later sweetheart. You and your mom go ahead; I'll prepare you some snacks for when you come back."

************

Regina held her eyes closed, enjoying the sun that kindly warmed her skin at the contact. She heard two familiar giggles and guessing to who they belonged to was no challenge. Regina opened her eyes to see Henry on Emma's back, clutching onto her like a little monkey. A chuckle escaped the mayor's lips as she admired the two from a distance. Regina found herself lost in the memory of her and Emma's first encounter. And thought about how much closer they had grown over time. They used to hate each other's guts... Now they were inseparable.

"Looking good. I'm starving." Emma said as she crashed down next to Regina and eagerly reached for one of the sandwiches. "Henry, thank your mother for having prepared this."

"Thank you mom!" Henry obediently said as he too dug in.

"Hmhm..." Regina hummed. "Have you two put sunscreen on?" She asked, experiencing a moment in regard of motherly instincts.

"Yes." Both said in sync, both still with their mouths full.

"Good." Regina peacefully laid back again.

************

After a while Regina was still sun bathing not aware the sheriff was sneaking up on her. Then unexpectedly, Regina's muscles tensed up at the direct contact of cold water and sat up straight. "SWAN!" She clenched her jaw, the water almost vaporising in an instant as Regina's blood was boiling. Emma dropped a watergun right in front of the older woman's feet, challenging her to pick it up.

"Come on, pick it up mom!" Henry now said as he joined his two moms, careful to keep a safe distance.

"Not a chance... I came here for my rest not to-" Regina was cut off by yet another splash of water. Emma was unable to hold back the laugh that desired escape so badly, though did grow a little worried by the mayor's glare that intensified within seconds.

"Okay now you're dead!" Regina yelled, her eyes burning with fire as she picked up the watergun. Emma decided to make a run for it, looking back only to see Regina was gaining on her. She spun around aimlessly shooting into Regina's direction. Regina shielded her face with one hand, shooting with the other. Even though she hated to admit it, she was enjoying their little game, laughing hard as the duel continued until their water bottles were empty. They were quick to refill and ready for another round, this time Henry joined the fight, aiding Regina who was losing the match. Emma was evading attacks by hiding behind a fallen tree. Henry pretended to be hit by a real bullet, grabbing his chest dramatically and falling to the ground. "Argh! I'm hit! Avenge me m-mom..." He groaned, Regina playing along and grabbing his hand. "Henry no!" She turned to Emma who was watching in awe from behind her cover. "We are role-playing now?" She asked, amused by their performance.

"Aaaaah!" Regina released her battle cry, storming towards Emma.

"Wow... Wow Regina!" Emma held out her hands in surrender but the older woman would not show mercy. Then before Emma was aware of what had happened, both were lying flat on the ground, Regina on top, both soaking wet. Regina did not know what had caused her to lose wit. She pulled back to meet Emma's confused eyes and felt her stomach shrink. Never had they been this close. Droplets of water, desperately clinging onto Regina's locks until gravity claimed them its own, dripped onto Emma's face. They stared into each other's eyes and shared breath for a short moment until Regina pulled herself out of the daze she was found trapped in and rolled to her back. "I can't believe you actually tackled her." Henry said as he ran to the two women. "Yeah..." Regina nervously chuckled and got back on her feet. "I think it's going to rain soon."