Chapter 8

Waking up to the sound of my alarm, I slowly turned over in bed grunting slightly at the pain the was radiating all over my body. Turning off the alarm, I got up and made my way to the mirror. Looking at my blue and purple bruised face, I couldn't help but let a tear slip. Knowing what I have to do I take out my foundation and proceed to put it on trying to cover the bruises. With a little luck from the foundation I decided to just leave my hair down to cover the rest of them. Making my way down the stairs I sighed in relief to find that I was home alone. Getting a cup and pouring some coffee into it with a little cream and sugar, I went to sit down at the kitchen table. I just sat there staring, thinking about all the things that had gone wrong last night and that they were all my fault.

I rinsed my cup, grabbed my bag and headed out the door. The drive to school felt like it was only a block away from my house. Parking in my usual spot, I got out and noticed Lilly standing by her car talking with someone. That someone just so happened to be Luke. Trying to get to the front doors as quick as possible, I could hear both of them yelling my name to stop. I just kept my head forward not paying them any attention. When I arrived at my locker I got my books as quickly as I could and made my way to class. When Luke walked in, he looked rough. He looked as if he hadn't slept for three days. I could feel my stomach begin to tie in knots again because this was all my fault. Taking his seat next to me, he tried to get my attention but I just focused on the teacher at the front of the class. After about fifteen minutes he eventually gave up.

When the bell rang I virtually ran out of the classroom only to see Lilly standing at my locker with her arms crossed. She also looked like she hasn't slept in quite some time.

"Chloe we need to talk." She spoke up with a worriedness in her voice that she couldn't hide.

"There's nothing to talk about. I think you said enough last night." I replied a little more harsh than I intended to.

"Ok I'm sorry about last night, but you need to do something about this. You don't think I don't see the bruises on your cheeks or the fact that you're wearing a long sleeve shirt in the middle of May. Lee you are my best friend I'm going to notice these things." She said with hurt in her voice.

That's when I felt a strong pair of arms wrap around my body. I didn't even have to look behind me to know that it was Luke standing behind me.

"How much did you tell him?" I asked her with fear in my voice. If he knew anything he would want to help me just like Lil did and I couldn't let him do that.

"I know enough." He whispered in my ear sending shivers down my entire body.

"Look you guys, I know this is hard to not tell anyone but you need to trust me ok. I'm going to get out of this one way or another but you two can't do anything about it. This is between me and Jenny." I stated while looking them both dead in the eyes.

With reluctance they both nodded their head in agreement. I smiled at them with the biggest smile I had. I knew that this was going to be hard for them not to say anything but they agreed not to and I'm going to keep them up to their agreement. The rest of the day went by pretty fast and I had a smile on my face the whole day. Having my best friend and the boy that I might even love back in my life made me feel alive, maybe even stronger. Walking out to my truck I noticed Luke and Lilly waiting for me next to it.

"Hey we were wondering if you wanted to go to that coffee shop you like so much." Luke said with a smile plastered across his face and Lil standing next to him with an even bigger one.

They were up to something and I knew it in my gut. Looking at both of them with confusion written all over my face, they just smile bigger. Sighing in defeat, I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and texted my dad to let him know that I would be home later. Sending it I slid my phone back into my pocket and waited for them to tell me what was going on.