9.

"He's at his old warehouse on Miagani Island."

"Jason--"

"It'll take me five minutes to get there. You need to stay here, I don't need your help." Jason states, his eyes trained on the freshly loaded gun in his hand. He rubs the metal with his sleeve, blowing off any dust before he shoves it into a gun strap that's wrapped around his upper thigh.

"What?" I step towards him abruptly. "I want to help! You said you needed my help!"

"I wasn't sure," He says, his expression void of emotion and his eyes not meeting mine. "Turns out I don't need your help."

"Bullshit."

"Danielle, you know you can't do anything to help me." He rolls his eyes. "You don't know how to fight, you don't know how to shoot a gun and you don't have any idea how to defend yourself. What could you really do to help me? Looking pretty isn't going to get you anywhere with this, sweetheart."

"Then teach me how to do stuff!" I argue, roughly crossing my arms over my chest. Jason sends me an annoyed look, shrugging his leather jacket over his broad shoulders. He holds his bright red helmet under his arm, pressing a domino mask on over his eyes.

"I don't have the time nor do I have the patience to teach you how to fight. If you haven't noticed, you're kind of a pain in the ass."

His eyebrow is raised, a smirk playing on his lips. Jason's brightly colored eyes dance over my duller ones, teasing me silently. He stands still, silently watching me. His eyes trail over me, piercing as a needle yet still as soft as a pillow.

I huff, glaring at him as he silently saunters out of my apartment, slamming the door behind him. Within a couple of minutes, the revving of his motorbike can be heard from my apartment. I groan loudly, throwing my head backwards.

Why is he such an asshole? I just want to help him out. All I want is to feel like I've done something for my deceased sister, is that too much to ask for? If helping Jason do whatever it is that he plans to do with the Black Mask will help me with that, then so be it. The bastard would deserve what's coming his way.

I pick up my phone--the one that Jason had replaced, rapidly dialing Stephanie's number. She picks up after three rings.

"What's up?"

"Jason's found him. He's already left to get him," I say. "But he wouldn't let me go with him. He basically told me to stay the hell away from whatever he's doing."

"Good. You should listen to him, he knows what he's doing." She says, sighing loudly. I ignore her, not bothering to start an argument. "He's being smart for once."

"Steph, I can't just sit and wait--"

"What else can you do, Dani?" Steph sighs audibly, the sound crackled over the phone.

"I don't know. Just as long as I do something." I mumble, pinching the bridge of my nose with the tips of my index finger and my thumb.

"You have zero combat skills, zero combat-tech skills and zero environmental analysis skills. Dani you wouldn't last."

"Do you?" I ask. "Because I could learn from you! Jason said he wouldn't do it but you can!"

"Fighting is not for you, Danielle." Stephanie says. "You aren't a fighter."

"I'm taking personal offense to that."

"Good." She retorts. I stay silent, not muttering a single word back to her. The line stays silent, the only sound being of our breathing and what must be the TV in Stephanie's bedroom. I know how much Stephanie hates it when I don't speak just to piss her off but I also know that it'll get me what I want.

"I hate you so bloody much."

"Love you too, Steph."

"I'll teach you how to fight." She groans out, instantly hanging up the phone. I pull my own phone away from my ear, smiling down at my screen. Finally someone's going to help me--teach me how to fight.

My eyes fall to a bloody stain on my carpet, one that was left from Jason's first visit to my apartment. I hadn't noticed it until last night, when Stephanie had pointed it out. It reminded me of how dangerous Jason must be, how dangerous his life must be. And if I'm being completely honest, I'm surprised Jason's recklessness hasn't gotten him killed. It reminded me of what Stephanie had told me about him. That he's not like the rest of the heroes, that he's hurt so many people and killed almost as much.

What am I doing?

Why do I want this so bad? Why do I want to become a fighter? I'm not a fighter--I'm just a commerce student and a waitress. Why am I doing so much for the sister who left my family for ruins?

A loud 'ping' sounds from my phone, the screen lighting up with a text from Stephanie.

'Meet me outside your apartment building in 15.'

I take a deep breath, pushing the millions of questions in my mind to the side. This is what I want. This is what I'll do. This is what I'll learn.

I silently ready a bottle of water, tugging at the active wear that covers my body. I guess I'm lucky that Mum got me this set of clothes before I left Central City because I'd be totally screwed for what to wear in a fighting lesson-thing with Stephanie Brown as my teacher.

As I walk to the elevator, I can't help but wonder just how much Stephanie knows about Jason's way of life. It's almost as if they have vigilantism in common. I'll make sure to ask her when I get the chance.

I spot Stephanie standing by the entrance to the building, also dressed in active wear. She grips a drink bottle tightly, watching me as I walk towards her.

She smirks once I'm standing beside her.

"You're in for a long night, Sweetie."

~~

A U T H O R ' S N O T E

Hi guys!

I'm so so so sorry that it's taken me so long to update! And I also apologise for the short chapter too! I've been super stuck with writing anything lately and I just don't find anything I end up writing publishable lmao. So I am super duper sorry to say that my updates may slow down a bit!

Also, my story has been entered into the DC Comics Watty Awards on the DC_ComicsWattyAwards profile page so I would really love it if you guys could vote for my stories!

Anyways, (I'm going to be that annoying self-promoting person ok I'm sorry) but I would absoloutley love if ya'll can check out my other stories! I've published a Tim Drake one as well as a Peter Parker one! They are probably better written than this one oops.

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment if you liked this chapter!

Oh OH OH AND 6K??

Thank you all so much!!!!

~ Hannah