Chapter 16: The Unusual Couple

Warning(s): None

Alex and Miles were seated on the love seat ahead of Miles' parents. The peppermints that were on the table were nearly gone because Alex nearly ate them all. Miles made him stop or else he'd get a stomach ache.

The mother couldn't help but giggle at Alex's quirks, finding him utterly adorable. "He can take the bag home. I have plenty more."

"You don't have to do that, mum." Miles insisted with a smile.

"Oh I will. He loves them!" The mother got up and jogged to the kitchen. Everyone in the living room could hear the rustling and crunching of a plastic bag. She came out with a plastic bag of the mints, causing Alex's eyes to light up with joy. The mother gave them to him and smiled, "Don't eat too many, love."

Alex smiled widely and nodded, hugging the bag.

The father finally asked, "Where are you from, Alex?"

Alex sat there in thought, looking down.

"California." Miles answered with a smile.

"Ah, America. How is America?" The father asked Alex.

Alex smiled softly yet nervously, "It's very warm."

"I bet! We nearly never see the sun anymore!" The father stated, leaning back and letting out a loud laugh.

The mother laughed along with the father before Alex and Miles joined in. Though their laughs were more nervous than out of humor. After the laughs had faded, the timer in the kitchen had gone off. "Dinner's done!" The mother yelled in excitement.

Miles asked in concern as an event popped into his head, "Mum, what's for dinner?"

"Fish and Chips, love."

Alex heard fish and automatically had his sight shoot down.

"Oh dear, is your boyfriend allergic to fish? I have back-ups!" The mother yelled before rushing to the kitchen. "We have steak that I made last night! He can have that!"

Miles looked to Alex, "Do you want that instead?"

Alex slowly nodded, forcing a smile.

"I'll have it with you, too. Is that alright?"

Alex nodded again, hugging the bag of mints closer to him.

The father became sort of skeptical of Alex before shrugging it off moments later. "I'll be in the dining room." The father smiled before getting up from the couch and walking out.

- 🐚 -

Alex and Miles sat by each other, closely, while the parents sat at their usual spots around dinner time. Alex ate the chips off of the plate every now and then.

"How's your writing going, Miles?" The mother asked.

"Oh, it's going well. My writers block finally went away."

"Oh, that's lovely dear," she continued to ask, "what do you do, Alex?"

"...I read." Alex answered with a soft smile.