Chapter 10: Changes

Warning(s): None

Alex was standing in the bathroom in front of the mirror, braiding his long hair. He figured that it'd be easier to braid his hair in pigtails than doing a ponytail. Alex hummed a certain tune to himself that sounded very much like a lullaby. He looked around for hair ties, but then noticed that Miles didn't have any. Huffing in disappointment before walking out of the bathroom and down the hallway while holding his braided pigtails. Alex had a childish pout to him as he walked into the living room where Miles was sitting.

"What's wrong, love?" Miles asked, blinking.

"You do not have hair ties."

"Is your hair bothering you?" Miles asked, setting down his journal.

Alex pouted, "Yes, a bit. Though I do like braiding it." A smile perking up.

"We can always get it cut if you'd like."

Alex tilted his head to the side, confused.

Miles elaborated further, "To cut it off. Like, your hair will be shorter, Alex."

Alex stood there blank faced for a minute before his face lit up, "OH!"

"Yeah, if you want though. Your hair is really gorgeous."

"Thank you." Alex blushed, giggling.

"No problem, love."

The room was silent as Alex held the perfectly, neatly braided ponytails. His fingers were slowly slipping since his hair wasn't really that long. Plus, his hair was wet. "Though I would like to cut my hair. I don't know how my kingdom would act on it though."

"Your...kingdom won't let you cut your hair?"

"No, long hair defines beauty." Alex stated.

"You'd still look beautiful with long hair, short hair, or...no hair!"

"Thank you so much. I just have an overwhelming fear of getting kicked out of my kingdom. Even though a vote would have to be necessary."

"I don't think they'd kick you out. I think you'd be fine."

Alex halfheartedly smiled, nodding. "I want to cut my hair."

"Okay, love. When?"

"Today." Alex stated with enthusiasm.

Completely off-guard, Miles stuttered out, "O-Oh, okay then. Right now?"

Alex nodded, biting his bottom lip as he held tightly onto his drying pigtails.

"Okay then."

- 🐚 -

"All done!" The hairdresser exclaimed, smiling at her work on Alex's hair. "I hope you like bangs, sweetie."

Alex gasped as he looked in the mirror, placing his palms on his cheeks. He ran one of his hands through his hair, the texture seeming completely different to him. He shook his head, feeling the short strands scrape against his forehead, smiling. "I love it! Thank you so much." The boy was practically shining, glowing.