chapter 9

Guys please comment I love reading what you have to say :) lmao I'm so desperate. Also please read the authors note at the end.

(Mabel's POV)

"Mabel, what are you doing?" I looked up at Bill, confused. "No- Mabel- stop! That's not where your hand goes, my hand goes on your waist, not the other way round. Do I look female to you?" He went to move me, his touch causing me to jerk back my hand as if he had burnt me. Hurt flashed in his eyes, but disappeared in an instant, so quickly I wondered if I ever saw it in the first place. "Sorry." I mumbled embarrassed, looking down at his hand positioning itself on my waist.

"Your hand should be on my shoulder." He laughed, and I smiled a little, following his instruction. I looked around and saw that everyone was already in their positions, ready to dance. I turned back to Bill, who had a grin on his face. "What's with you?" I asked, his happy expression warming my heart. He looked so genuine. "Oh nothing," he smirked, "I'm just excited to blow your mind with my insane skills." Crap. A groan escaped my lips against my will, clearly confusing him.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked bitterly. I think I crushed his ego. "Nothing." I mumbled, dreading the moment the music would start. I did not think this through. I was about to embarrass myself pretty badly. I could tell he wasn't convinced, disbelief was evident in his expression and he gave me a 'seriously' look. I sighed. "I've um- I've never danced before." His eyes widened and his mouth opened to speak, but was interrupted before any words could escape his lips. As if on cue, the music started.

We immediately began moving across the dance floor, following the beat of the music. I attempted to mimic Bill's graceful movements as, unlike my unsure steps, he seemed to be confident in what he was doing, as if it was second nature to him, and I assumed he had done this a million times.

Suddenly, he pulled me close and positioned us so his lips were beside my ear, so close that I could almost feel him touching me. "You're tense." He whispered, his deep, husky voice making me shiver. "Loosen up a little and follow my lead." I felt my cheeks burning. He pulled away and began to lead and I followed obediently, this time flowing with the beat and moving naturally.

Together we danced in time to the music, our gazes remaining locked. Everything was perfect, and in that moment, he was perfect too. He wore a black tuxedo, with a white shirt and black bow tie, of course, making him look irresistible. When I looked into his deep blue eye, I saw the ocean, and longed to see what was hiding behind his eyepatch. I wanted to see his other eye.

We glided across the dance floor elegantly, our feet moving in perfect sync with the beating of my heart. Somehow he managed to guide me across the floor, knowing exactly where to take me without hesitation, while keeping his eyes fixed on mine. The warmth between us grew more powerful by the second. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, and wondered if he noticed how fast it was beating. I wondered if he knew that he was the cause of my unsteady breathing. I wondered if he knew he took my breath away.

As the song progressed, I began feeling much more relaxed, and allowed Bill to take me anywhere he pleased on the dance floor. We became one with the music, the dance, and with each other, and in that moment, nothing else mattered. Eventually the song ended and we were forced to separate, though I immediately missed his warmth and touch. The moment we parted, the sound of the audiences' applause filled our ears, and although it was meant for everyone who took part, it felt as if they were all cheering for us.

"So much for never dancing before." I heard a deep voice say. I turned back to face Bill, my face flushed pink and my breathing unsteady, with a wide grin plastered on my face. I didn't even try to hide it. "For your first time, that was pretty good." He sounds so genuine. He actually means it. "Th- thanks." I replied breathlessly, still grinning like an idiot. His eyes widened momentarily, as if he realised what he said, and he rubbed the back of his neck, looking down and laughing. He looks adorable. Wait, what?