The little friend

Start from the beginning

His heart skipped a beat. He started to look for her. Yet, couldn't see her in that big, tumultuous crowd.

"Matt! Matt, where are you?" he shouted.

Oona covered his mouth with her hand, "Keep your voice down! Else you're going to make everyone notice you."

"I can't, Oona. I lost Matt. I have to find her, I can't just leave her like that..."

"Why not?" she shrugged. "She's more of a burden to us, anyway."

But Ferry was determined "I can't just leave her! She's my friend. And she's a human. She won't make it here by herself."

Oona rolled her eyes, "Fine, you just wait here."

She slowly lifted above the ground, higher and higher, all the way to the sky. Then she vanished into thin air.

She came back after a few minutes, dragging the thick thread at the end of which there was Matilda, pale and ruffled, but safe and sound.

"How could you leave me behind?" she shouted as soon as she laid eyes on Ferry.

"I'm sorry, Matt, I didn't realize ─ " Ferry mumbled.

"It's not the fairy-boy's fault you cannot keep up," Oona interfered.

"You stay out of it!" Matilda shouted at her.

"She's right, Matt," Ferry added. "Why can't you keep up? It's dangerous to get lost around here."

"How am I supposed to keep up with that thing tied to my foot?" she snapped.

"Nonsense," Oona sniffed. "You can't even feel it. Imagine it's... invisible, as you, humans, say."

"That's easy to say," Matilda mumbled. "How am I suppose to leave this place with that thing tied to my foot?"

"You can't," Oona thwarted. "Not until you become a fairy. And you can't become a fairy until you have lost the last piece of memory of your human life. I know a lot of people who got off the thread after they've become fairies."

"But I don't want to become a fairy!" Matilda yelled.

Oona shrugged, "Then I can't see a way out. The threads become thinner only when the memories began to disappear. And yours is the thickest I've ever seen. To be honest, I think I've only seen two more this thick. One is your friend, the fat boy. The more you hang on to your human past, the thicker and more difficult to be cut it would be. "

Matilda was just about to burst into tears, but Ferry was there for her, this time, "Don't worry, Matt. All we have to do is find the end of the thread and cut it off."

Matilda smiled, a shadow of hope in her eyes.

But Oona shook her head, "I'm afraid that's also pretty hardy-hard. All the threads are going to the same place. A huge ball the Fae Queen keeps in her chamber inside a chest."

"Then we'll go there and cut it," said Ferry.

But Oona knew better, "No use. Only a fairy can cut it, with magical scissors. Which are also in her chest."

When hearing Oona, despair began to grow on Matilda. Ferry couldn't stand to see her sad. After all, she was there because of him. "We'll find a way, Matt," he said. She nodded, with two pearls of tears in her eyes.

"Well, are you hungry or not?" Oona asked them without looking troubled by Matilda's worries. "I'm starving. Hurry!"

Taking Ferry by the hand, she started to intermingle with the crowd of visitors. This time, Ferry didn't leave Matilda behind.