Chapter 4: Old Friends, New Problems

It took a while before Chris and Josh opened the door.

Artemis sighed and sat down on the couch. She saw everyone enter in the lodge. She smiled lightheartedly, remembering all the fun times they had together.

"Home, sweet home," Josh smiled as he walked towards the fireplace.

"Sweet is not the word I'd use," Matt scoffed.

"Oh my gosh it's SO GOOD to be inside. Even if it's still kinda freezing in here," Ashley sighed as she plopped down on the couch.

"I'll get a fire going," Josh remarked.

"This place barely looks any different," Matt said as he looked through the lodge.

"Nobody's been up here."

"Even with all the police coming in and out?" Ashley asked.

"Not a lot of action up here lately?" Chris questioned.

"Nope," Josh chucked a few firewood into the fireplace.

"What's up party people!" Mike walked in with Jessica.

"Heeey!" Jessica waved.

"Hey!" Josh said as he stood up from his crouching position. "Make yourself at home, bro."

"Will do,"

"Yeah! Come on in. Take a load off. Have whatever you want. You just take whatever you want anyway, right?" Matt snapped as he walked towards Mike. Artemis stood up and looked at Josh, signaling to stop the fight if it escalates any further. "What the hell were you doing with Em out on the trail, huh?"

"What?" Mike scoffed.

"I saw you and Em. Through the telescope." Matt growled.

Mike raised his eyebrows and shrugged his shoulders. "Before? We just ran into each other. It'd been a while so we hugged and I said hello. Is that against the law?"

Matt sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Right... yeah... Duh. Sorry, it's been kind of a long day. I overreacted."

"Nah, man, don't worry about it." Mike smiled.

"We cool?" Matt asked.

"Yeah, yeah. Totally." Artemis sighed in relief. At least that is taken care of.

Matt sat back down the couch farthest from Mike and Jessica with his head hung low. Josh and Artemis exchanged looks before resuming what they were previously doing. It wasn't until Emily walked in that things went downhill.

"Oh. My god. That is so gross," Emily grimaced. "Are you trying to swallow his face whole?"

"Em . . ." Matt huffed, not really ready for another fight.

Emily chuckled, "Seriously can she be any more obvious? No one wants in on your territory, honey." Josh and Artemis once again stand by to defuse the cat fight.

"Excuse me, did you say something?" Jessica scoffed.

"Oh did you not hear me? Was your sluttiness too loud?"

Jessica stood up and put her hands on her hip, "Sounds like someone's bitter she didn't make the cut."

"Yeah. It's all a big cattle call with that dreamboat. Congrats, you're top cow," Emily folded her arms with annoyance.

"Cuts real deep calling Miss Homecoming a cow." Jessica laughed.

Matt kept his cool and tried his best to calm everyone down, "H-hey, you're making everyone uncomfortable, Jess-"