Chapter 21

The doorbell is ringing insistently.

I moan loudly, rolling over.

3:34AM.

Noah looks at the clock, sighing.

He throws the blankets off of him, standing up. He pulls on a pair of sweatpants. I get up too.

Whoever it is, is ringing it insistently.

I pull on a black tank top with no bra and a pair and blue and white plaid pajama pants, following Noah.

The kids are all entering the hall, except Rose.

I left her to think.

I follow Noah downstairs, the kids following us.

I flick the light on in the foyer.

Noah unbolts the door, opening it.

A teenager stands there. His hair is dark and curly. His bright blue eyes shine.

He looks exhausted, and his hair is a mess.

He has bags under his eyes, and his gray t-shirt is wrinkled.

"Is Rose here?" he asks.

Noah is suddenly wide awake.

"Who are you?" he demands.

"Elliot." I whisper.

"Yes." He replies. "Is she here?"

I hesitate.

"She's asleep."

"I'll wake her up."

He pratically shoves past Noah.

"Hey!" Noah yells after him. "Who are you? What the hell do you want with my daughter?"

"Noah." I say quietly.

"She's-no, she's just a baby! She's not allowed to have a fucking guy friend! This is like-if she starts dating him, I'm kicking her out."

"Stop." I stay harshly. "You're not kicking her out. She's eighteen, and she can have a boyfriend if she damn well wants to."

"That boy, is he why she was upset?"

I sigh.

He looks completely enraged.

"You knew and you didn't fucking tell me?" he snaps. "Are you kidding? Who the fuck do you think you are to hide this from me? She's my daughter! Fuck this. Fuck him. Fuck you. I hate you."

"Noah!" I say, shocked.

"No, go fuck yourself."

He storms past me.

I stand there, shocked. He walks into the kitchen, and comes back dressed with his car keys.

He shoves past me, roughly hitting my shoulder, slamming the front door behind himself.

He's never been the one to leave me before.

I'm always the one that does the leaving.

"Mom." Ruby whispers. "Mom, Dad doesn't leave!"

"I know." I say. "It's fine. He'll come back." Rose comes downstairs, Elliot following her.

"Did Dad just tell you to go fuck yourself?" she asks me.

She looks actually scared.

I sigh.

"Guys, it's not a big deal. He's just angry. He's done this before." I lie.