Chapter 18: Invitation

‘Where’s Ric?’ I asked as soon as I woke up. Elena helped me get up from my position on the floor in the puddle of blood. I grimaced.

‘He’s doing okay,’ she said. ‘He’s in the hospital.’ Her voice was comforting, and it was as though she’d already forgotten about our argument. I gave her a small smile then wobbled to the bathroom. After washing up and changing into sensible clothing, I descended the stairs to the living room.

There wasn’t any blood left on the walls or floors, but I could still very well remember the scene. I shuddered and shook the thought away, making my way to a befuddled Elena by the door. She held something in her hand. I peered over her shoulder to see what it was. It was a paper. An invitation, to be more precise. I read the words aloud.

Please join the Mikaelson Family this evening at seven o’clock for dancing, cocktails and celebration.’

Elena slowly nodded. ‘There’s an invitation for you too.’ She gave me mine and I stared at the cursive lettering of my name for a moment before noticing another paper in Elena’s hand. My brows furrowed as I read the note.

                ‘Elena, I think it's time that we finally meet.

                –Esther.’

‘Who’s Esther?’ I asked her.

‘The Original Witch,’ she replied curtly.

My jaw dropped. ‘She’s dead.’

Elena shook her head. ‘She was in the locked coffin.’

I could tell from the way she spoke that she was still mad at me. As she turned to leave, I grabbed her arm and faced her. ‘Look, I’m sorry,’ I whispered, trying to sound apologetic. She avoided my eyes, but nodded faintly. She didn’t speak. I could only hope she forgave me, but she was still evidently hurt. She took a deep breath and regarded me with an identifiable expression.

‘How are you dealing with all of this?’ She asked. ‘I mean, you keep getting dragged into everything.’

I opened my mouth to speak, but was interrupted by Damon and Stefan barging into the room. ‘I manage,’ I mouthed to her before the four of us settled on the sofas in front of the fireplace.

‘What are those?’ Damon asked, gesturing towards the invitations in our hands.

‘Invitations to the Mikaelson’s ball,’ I replied.

‘It's bad enough they're moving into town, now they want a housewarming gift?’ Stefan asked sarcastically.

‘Well, there’s a note on the back of mine,’ Elena said and proceeded to recite the words. ‘If Esther wants to talk to me, maybe I should find out why.’

‘What exactly happened last night?’ I asked Stefan. Elena was at the Grill with Caroline. Damon wasn’t home. I was left with Stefan. Surprisingly, I didn’t feel awkward talking to him. But he irritated me. He was acting so indifferent, as though now that he wasn’t under Klaus’s compulsion to protect Elena, he doesn’t care about her anymore. He didn’t answer me. I scowled and gritted my teeth. ‘You know, you should really stop being a prick,’ I spat. ‘It doesn’t suit you.’

‘How am I being a prick?’

I growled inwardly. ‘You keep acting like you don’t care. And you do! We all know that you care, Stefan!’

‘How do you know?’

What?

‘How do you know that I care?’ He repeated. ‘You don’t know anything about me.’

I sighed. After taking a deep breath, I looked him straight in the eye. ‘You forgave her for every wrong thing she’s ever done. You still let her make her own decisions, even when we know how those work out,’ I started listing, counting on my fingers all the signs that he did care. ‘You don’t settle for anything but the truth. You put her safety above all. You trust her. You support her. You respect her. You love her.’ I was out of breath, but I wasn’t done yet.

‘So grow some balls and stop being a fucking dick. Just because you flipped your switch doesn’t mean you no longer care. You do,’ I finished.

He stared at me with an unreadable face. I didn’t know what his expression meant, but it was the first time I’d seen it on his face. I hoped that was a good thing.  I stood up and broke eye contact. As I made my way upstairs, I heard his voice calling from the living room.

‘How do you notice such things?’ I couldn’t help but laugh.

‘I’m a psychology major.’

I twirled in my attire, and the soft fabric danced lightly at the gush of air from my spin. I looked at my reflection once more.

I was dressed in a one-shoulder ruched chiffon gown in a navy color. There was a slit from my left mid-thigh, giving me an sophisticated yet sexy look. Jewels embroidered the strap and followed to the area beneath my chest. My upper back was exposed, and the tight bodice complimented my curves nicely.  My hair was curled, falling in elegant ringlets ending at my shoulders. I didn’t bother with an updo, mainly because I can never get my hair to stay in one place. My feet were in black ankle strap heels with an open toe. My nails were painted a glossy black; my favorite color. A simple gold bracelet was on my left wrist, and my right hand was clutching a silvery minaudière featuring small square studs at the front and back.

I was happy with my ensemble. And despite the fact that we were going to a ball hosted by a group of vampires, a hybrid and a psychotic witch, I was excited. It’s been a while since I’ve been to an event that I had to get all dolled up for. So I relished the feeling while I could.

Elena was standing in front of the vanity mirror, applying the finishing touches to her face. As she slathered on one final layer of mascara, she finally straightened up and we faced each other. She was a bit taller than me in her six-inch heels compared to my four-inch ones.

‘You look amazing,’ I told her. And she did. The sequins, the elaborate bodice, and the layers and layers of tulle made her look stunning. The black gloves only made her outfit all the more beautiful. We made our way outside where the brothers waited. I couldn’t help the smile that appeared on my face when Stefan opened the door for Elena like a gentleman. As he was closing the door behind her and making his way to the passenger seat, our eyes locked. I smirked at him as he gave me a small smile and entered the car. Damon opened the door for me as well and I gracefully slid inside. At least I hoped it was graceful.

As I sat in the car, I made sure not to let my mind wander off. I’ve always wanted to have a magical night at a ball, so I hoped this would be the night. But I didn’t want my expectations to rise so high, especially since I knew this night was going to be anything but magical.

A/N

Hey guys! So I hope you liked this chapter. Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT if you did. Sorry updtaes haven't been as fast. Anyway, some of you might know that I have another fan fiction in the making. I'm not starting on it until I'm done with this but I have the Prologue uploaded if you'd like to check it out. The story's called 'Humanity Switches' and it's about Klaus's sister who is a hybrid as well. Go check it out if you'd like! I love you all!