Chapter 7: Pedophiles & Human Blood Bags

My eyes lit up as I took in Damon’s car. It was a basic 1969 Chevy Camaro Convertible. I knew that because my father always used to take me to auto shows for out-of-production classics. This car happened to be in every single one of them. I wondered how Damon could possibly get his hands on it, then I remembered he was a vampire. Who knows how long he’s been alive? I continued to admire the car. I smiled goofily then literally jumped in. Damon stared at me for a moment before heading to the driver’s seat and opening the door, like any sane person would. I looked up at the house, hearing the faint sound of something breaking.

‘That’d be Rebekah,’ Damon stated as I pursed my lips. I muttered something along the lines of ‘let’s get out of here’ before Damon sped out of the long snaky driveway.  I gazed at Damon. This was the first time I’d actually been around him without some sort of drama happening, and I managed to get a proper look at him. Then I remembered our first encounter, when I arrived two days ago. I scowled as I recalled how I just stood there, practically eye raping him. Honestly, it should be illegal for someone to be so hot.

‘How old are you?’ I asked, examining his features. His cold eyes locked with my own, but only for a second. He continued to watch the road.

‘Twenty-four,’ he replied.

‘No. I mean, like, as a, um, you know?’ My voice was uneven. I still couldn’t bring myself to believe he was a vampire, let alone say it.

Damon sighed. ‘A hundred-and-seventy – give or take a few.’ I smirked.

‘So technically you’re a pedophile?’

His head dropped for a moment, mumbling a few words I couldn’t make out. He looked up, and I fought the urge to laugh at his facial expression. His lips were in a tight smile, if you could even call it a smile. His eyes were drooping, giving him a drunken kind of look. His head wobbled slightly, probably matching the thoughts of whatever was going on in that perfect little head of his. I repeat: it should be illegal for someone to be so hot. I shook my head, laughing silently before focusing back on the road. It wasn’t long before we pulled into the parking lot of the Mystic Grill.

I pushed the door open and grinned at Damon. The guy probably thought I was nuts. When we entered the restaurant, many looks were cast Damon’s and my way. Odd, I thought. Yesterday, nobody even did so much as glance at me. I ignored everyone and made my way to the bar, sitting on one of the stools. Damon sat next to me. ‘Gin martini, two olives,’ I tell the bartender before turning to Damon. ‘What other creatures are in this town, besides vampires and werewolves?’

He furrows his brows. ‘How do you know there’s werewolves?’ I roll my eyes, then give him a look that says ‘Well?’ He frowns. ‘There’s witches – like Bonnie – and there’s hybrids.’

I scrunch up my face in confusion. ‘Hybrids?’

‘Half-vampire half-werewolf. So far there’s only two hybrids: Tyler, Caroline’s boyfriend, and Klaus.’ I smiled at the bartender when he handed me my drink. I stared at it absentmindedly, then remembered something. I turned around in my seat, facing Damon.

‘Yesterday, after Stefan left, you looked at me and said something before Elena stopped you…’ I trailed off, not knowing how to ask the question. But I knew he understood what I meant.

He stayed silent, trying to get me to drop the subject. He realized there was no way of avoiding it. He bit his lip then looked at me. ‘I was going to compel you to forget about it. About everything.’ I blinked and nodded gradually, turning around and staring at my martini. I grabbed the pick with the olives and bit one off, chewing pensively. I swallowed and asked for the time. He said it was 2:30PM.

I slowly finished my martini, then hopped off the stool and walked to the pool table. I glanced back at Damon, gesturing towards the table. He smirked and followed me. We both grabbed a cue stick. Well, this should be fun.

Two figures walked through the door. I didn’t notice them until one was right in front of me. ‘Miracle?’ he asked. I looked up and gave him a toothy grin.

‘Hey, Jer!’ I screeched, engulfing him in a hug. I was rather tipsy. Jeremy stumbled back and managed to steady himself on the table. I giggled then looked to the person next to him. ‘Miracle Gilbert,’ I introduced myself.

‘Matt Donovan,’ he frowned concernedly. He was cute; blond hair, blue eyes, nice build. The stereotypical football player, I assumed.

I looked around and noticed Damon waiting for me by the door. I smiled sheepishly at the boys before waving goodbye and pursuing Damon. ‘Where’re we going?’ I asked before jumping in the car.

‘Check up on Elena,’ he said. I stared at him thoughtfully. I couldn’t stop the words from leaving my mouth.

‘You like her, don’t you?’ I smirked. When he didn’t answer, I knew it was true. I snickered. ‘Didn’t expect that from you, Damon.’

The rest of the ride was silent. I was trying to calm my insides, which were torturing me because of all the alcohol I consumed. Damon just drove. I honestly didn’t think he would be the type of guy to fall for Elena, who was the epitome of boring-ass people. The only time I feel good around her is when she’s drunk. Other times she just seems so… fragile.

Elena was lying on a bench lifting weights. Damon laughed when he saw her. ‘What? Are you going to bench press a vampire?’ 

‘Do you actually know what’s happening right now?’ Elena started, her voice becoming more high-pitched. ‘Stefan called me a ‘human blood bag.’ He’s a completely different person!’

I tune out and walk around the place, coming to a window. I gaze out at the picturesque town that is Mystic Falls. I notice a cemetery in the distance, where my car broke down. I feel guilt rushing into every part of my body. My mother is dying and I’m here. I swallow the lump in my throat and turn around. Elena was talking to Damon.

‘I want to lock Stefan up, at least until this Mikael guy comes, kills Klaus and the compulsion breaks.’

‘Compulsion or not, Stefan’s high on human blood, ok? A lot of it.’ I felt nauseous at the mention of blood.

‘You’ve gotten him off of it before!’

Damon’s voice grew considerably louder. I flinched at his tone. ‘This is different. It’s not a stint in rehab, Elena. His humanity’s gone. Lights out. No one’s home.’

‘Then do it for me, Damon. Every single time I look at him, I feel like I'm going to break. And I'm not going to give him that satisfaction.’ I fought the urge to slap some sense into her. She stood up. Damon took her hand and placed it on his chest. Well, that escalated quickly.

‘What are you doing?’ Elena asked.

‘Feel that? It's a sternum. Solid plate of bone.’ He took her in his arms and put his fingers on her back. ‘Right here, just below the ribcage, next to the spine, that's your way to a vampire's heart.’ He removed his fingers. ‘I'll do whatever it is you need me to do, Elena. No one’s going to hurt you. Especially not my brother.’

I tried to stifle my laughter, but the scene was just too… funny. Well, no, it was anything but funny. Rather dramatic really but that’s what made me laugh. I almost choked as I guffawed while the two stared at me. Elena’s face was reddening. Damon remained expressionless, which made me laugh harder. I could feel my eyes watering. I wiped away a teardrop and managed to compose myself. ‘Sorry, but that was fucking hilarious.’ The two remained unresponsive. ‘I’m just gonna go,’ I murmured before hurrying outside and waiting in Damon’s car. I let out a cackle occasionally as I recalled the scene. I really didn’t expect that from Damon. I relaxed in my seat and waited patiently, allowing the two lovebirds to take their time.

A/N

So I admit, Miracle was pretty bitchy here, but honestly, am I the only one who hates Elena? Seriously! :P Anyway I hope you liked it, I hope you vote and comment; constructive criticism is always appreciated! Thank you guys! Bye! :)