Chapter 1: Not Unless You're Wearing a Mirror [EDITED]

My hand dives into my bag, moving around frantically in search of my phone. The rain plummets straight into my eyes, making my vision - and makeup - go awry. I run, stumbling in the darkness, for the protection of a lone tree. Another boom of thunder sounds just as my fingers curl around the cold device, making my breathing speed up as I pull it out. I immediately dial a number I could only hope was correct. I push call and pressed the phone to my ear, impatiently drumming my feet on the wet grass and mumbling 'pick up, pick up, pick up' over and over again, until I hear a voice I'd been silently praying to hear.

"Miracle?" The voice questions, seemingly dazed as to why I was calling at such an odd hour. It is, after all, 1AM.

"Yeah. Elena, you live in Mystic Falls, right? Please tell me you live in Mystic Falls!" I can feel my composure breaking. I start to get cold, and the tree doesn't seem to be preventing the rain from crashing down on me.

"I do, I do!" Elena says quickly, worry and confusing lacing her tone. "Miracle, are you okay?"

"No, I'm not! My car just broke down and there's this storm! C-could you pick me up? I'm by this cemetery and there's no one around so, please," I pause dramatically, "pick me up?"

"S-sure! I'll be right there!' She murmurs anxiously before hanging up. I feel a huge surge of relief wash over me. I straighten my soaked clothing and push a strand of hair away from my face, attempting to look more presentable, but obviously failing. It isn't long before a car comes to a screeching halt across the street. I squint, trying to see through the darkness and barely making out Elena's petite figure in the passenger seat. But if she's in the passenger seat, then who's driving?

I rush to the car as the sound of the pattering rain seems to grow louder. Gripping the handle, I heave the door open and slip inside, gasping at the sudden warmth. Two pairs of eyes stare at me. Brown almond-shaped eyes gaze at me with concern, while the other pair, which were a light-blue-almost-gray color, stare at me with plain amusement.

"Are you okay? Here," Elena asks sympathetically before handing me a warm blanket, which I gladly take while muttering a 'thanks.' She continues to eye me, trying to decipher why I was being so short with her. Normally I would launch a 45-minute rant about my problems and complaints, which I probably would've if it weren't for the unknown presence in the driver's seat. I avoid her eyes. "This is Damon. Damon Salvatore. He's, uh," she glanced at him out of the corner of her eyes, "a friend."

I raise an eyebrow inquisitively then look his way. He is already looking at me through the rearview mirror. I can't help but narrow my eyes suspiciously. "Miracle Gilbert," I say curtly.

He gives me a concise nod then turns to face Elena, as if asking her if we should move now. She nods absentmindedly. Damon gives me one last glance before slowly pressing gas and leaving the deserted road.

I kept my head low for the most part, basking in the warmth of the blanket. Occasionally I'd shift my position awkwardly, trying to get as comfortable as possible. The urge to sneak looks at Damon was overwhelming, but I managed not to stare at him. After all, curiosity killed the cat.

*

I glance up as the car comes to a stop. My eyebrows immediately shoot up as I take in the building we'd parked in front of. It looks so... old. Not to mention creepy. The only light was the moon's soft glow, which made the house look all the more eerie. I continue to gape at it, scrutinizing every inch, all until Elena's voice broke me out of my trance.

"You guys go ahead, I'll be there in a sec." The words tumbled out as though it were a robot speaking. Her eyes were fixed to her phone, which she was clasping so tightly, I'm surprised it didn't break. I look at her for a few fleeting seconds, contemplating whether I should stay with her or just leave. I realize she wants to be alone, and silently exit the vehicle. Damon was already out and had started walking towards the mansion.

It was impossible not to stare at him. I couldn't resist it, which was interesting considering the fact that all I've actually seen of him were his ice-cold eyes and amazing physique. His muscles were deeply rigid but still lean. He ran a hand through his hair, which was thick and black as midnight. I noticed a ring on his middle finger, glinting in the moonlight.

I let my eyes wander as we enter the house, the interior just as antique as it looked from the outside. "So, where am I staying?"

Damon is walking away, clutching a bottle of Bourbon and taking a long swig. "There's seven rooms in the house, find one." He then disappeared.

"Dick," I mutter bitterly and continued to admire the house.

"I heard that!"

How he'd heard me from such a distance, I have no idea. I focus on finding a room and follow the same way h'ed went. I notice a door up ahead and, assuming it is empty, gently push it open, only to find a very shirtless Damon with a very amused expression on his face. My eyes immediately dart to his torso, which wasn't as toned as I'd imagined, but undeniably sexy.

"Like what you see?"

It took about four second to realize I'd been openly ogling him and looked up, seeing his face for the first time. He was hot. No, like, really hot. His jawline was masculine and firm, twisted into a smirk and making his cheekbones higher. He was obviously enjoying the reaction he got out of me. I mentally scold myself for giving him the pleasure.

I narrow my eyes deceitfully and imitate his smirk. "Not unless you're wearing a mirror."

I give him a sweet smile and saunter away, satisfied. I see a door up ahead and peer inside, thankful to see no sign of humanity. My eyes land on the vintage-style four-poster bed, not bothering to check my surroundings. It looks so comfortable, so inviting. I only then realized just how tired I was. After the night's events, what with the car breaking down, the storm and, of course, Damon, I deserved a good night's sleep. Although I doubt I would be getting one. For some reason, I was sure I was goinna see Damon's hauntingly beautiful face in my dreams. Or nightmares.

A/N

so this is my first ever fanfiction! what do you think? please leave a comment; i appreciate your feedback, good or bad! :) and make sure to VOTE if you liked it!