Chapter 10: Who Pissed in your Cheerios?

Bonnie exits the car, and I follow awkwardly. I don’t know what I’m doing. We reach an area in the woods where a small, abandoned building stood, plants covering its roof and sides, as well as burn marks and cracks in its white walls. It looked even older than the Salvatores’ house. As soon as we enter, Bonnie lights the chimney then starts to place candles all around the room. I stand still, fidgeting nervously with my fingers.  I gasp when Bonnie lights every single candle with just a flick of her hand. Jeremy arrives, panting slightly. His brows furrow in confusion when he sees me, but then change into an expression I can’t identify when he sees Bonnie. An expression that looked like… apology.

‘Bonnie!’ He looks at her remorsefully, to which she is unresponsive. She looked even more dissatisfied than she was before, which is saying something. 

He bites his lip then stretches his hand, holding the necklace. Bonnie grabbed it and tossed into the fire, which sizzled at the contact. She stood in front of the chimney and started to mumble words I couldn’t make out, but could tell were foreign. I jumped when the fire of the candles grew abnormally tall. The fire slowly died down, returning to a slight flicker. Bonnie goes quiet, and I notice silent tears flowing down her cheeks. I get the urge to comfort her, but Jeremy beats me to it.

‘Bonnie...’

‘Just go, Jeremy,’ She snapped.

‘I owe you an explanation.

‘Matt let go of his sister before you let go of Anna. His sister, Jeremy! You know what you owe me? The respect of not making me listen to you explain yourself.’

Jeremy’s mouth moves, struggling to find something to say. ‘I’m sorry, Bonnie.’

‘You need to go.’

‘But–’

 ‘Just go, Jeremy!’

He leaves, reluctantly. I hear a noise emitting from the fireplace. I thought my ears were deceiving me, but then I heard it again. Bonnie was wiping her tears hastily. I got closer, and gazed into the flames. My eyes widen. ‘Uh, Bonnie?’ My voice is squeaky and hesitant. She kneels down next to me, and a surprised yelp escapes her mouth. The necklace was still perfectly intact.

Alaric was sat next to me, numerous pictures scattered on the table before us. He grabbed a post-it and wrote the word ‘vampire’ on it, then placed it on one of the photos. Then he looked at another photo and compared it to the one with the post-it. He switched the post-it to the other picture, then seized another and quickly scribbled ‘werewolf’ on it.

Yesterday, while I was battling Rebekah, Damon and Alaric discovered a cave of some sort. There were pictures on the walls, apparently dating back to the Eighth Century. These engravings had been here long before the founding of Mystic Falls. Names were inscribed in the walls, which Alaric translated into ‘Niklaus,’ ‘Rebekah,’ ‘Elijah,’ ‘Kol,’ ‘Finn’ and ‘Mikael’: the names of the Originals. Alaric was convinced the pictures represented a story; we just had to decipher the symbols’ meanings.

‘Dammit!’ Alaric exclaimed, throwing the photos he was holding onto the table.

I looked up from the photo I was scrutinizing, eying him quizzically. ‘Jeez, who pissed in your cheerios?’

He gave me a flat look and sighed, then shook his head and returned to examining the pictures. I’d grown to like Alaric. He wasn’t a bad guy. Far from it, really. So were Bonnie and Caroline. I mean, Caroline has such a pure heart, and as much as she annoys me, I can’t help the newfound respect I have for her.

Elena had volunteered to get some answers from Rebekah. She refused to let me come with her after hearing about our little brawl from Caroline. So now I’m in Alaric’s apartment, helping him decode the images. Stefan was locked in the City Jail. Elena thinks it would weaken him, forcing him to turn his humanity back on. And Damon… Well, who knows what Damon is up to? Alaric had messaged Bonnie a while ago, asking her to bring the necklace that wouldn't die. Elena had informed me about everything. From Klaus’s hybrid curse, to this too-good-to-be-true 'Mikael,' the man who is believed to have a weapon that can kill Klaus. I surprised myself at how calm my reaction was. There was a knock on the door, and Bonnie entered. She was in a much better mood since yesterday, which I was thankful for.

Elena had also explained to me the situation between her and Jeremy. I found it hard to believe. I mean, Jeremy is going out with Bonnie, but he's in love with his ghost of girlfriends past? That's just messed up. I genuinely felt sorry for her.

‘Got your message,’ Bonnie said, holding the necklace up.

‘Yeah, great! Uh, I'm sorry the place is such a mess. I'm obsessed...’ Alaric let out a nervous laugh. ‘You okay?’

‘Been better.’

‘Listen, Jeremy is an idiot. And I know this with certainty, because I was once a Jeremy. Trust me, we'll learn… Eventually.’  There was an awkward pause. He then held up a picture for Bonnie to see. ‘So, I've been staring at this image all day, wondering why it looked so familiar.’ He pointed to the necklace. ‘I was right.’

‘It’s the same design,’ I said. He nodded.

‘So, your grandmother said this necklace belonged to the witch that put the hybrid curse on Klaus, right? Well, this symbol is repeated all across the wall. I've been trying to figure out what it meant. And now I know.’ He jots something down on a post-it and sticks it to the photo. ‘Witch.’

‘We, uh, filled in what we could,’ Alaric told Elena, pointing to the photos with post-its.

‘That's the white oak tree that was used in the spell to create the vampires,’ Elena nodded towards a photo that loosely represented a tree, ‘which means that was when they burned down the tree, destroying the only way they could be killed.’

‘Ok. So tree equals weapon, sort of. We already knew that. What we are not sure about is this,’ I point to an image, ‘we've got the witch symbol, and what looks like a bleeding heart. Upside down figures usually signified death, of some kind,’ I informed her.

‘Mikael killed the witch by ripping out her heart. But why is that one connected to the witch's death?’ She wondered, gesturing to a symbol.

‘We don't know,’ I said. ‘We haven't gotten that far.’

‘Oh my God…’ Elena looked as though she'd made a revelation. Her eyes widened and her lips parted slightly. She shook her head, as if doubtful. ‘Rebekah doesn't know the real story.’

Alaric and I glanced at each other. Elena was lost in her own thoughts, and I looked back to the photo. It was a combination of the werewolf and vampire symbol: the hybrid. Next to it was the witch symbol. My jaw dropped in realization. ‘Mikael didn’t kill the witch.’

‘Klaus did,’ Elena deadpanned. Alaric quickly understood, then motioned towards another symbol.

‘She put the curse on him, made it so that he would be the only one of his kind, and then she rejected him,’ he spoke on the spur of the moment, the realization of everything swiftly kicking in.

‘With the werewolf gene comes aggression and violence. When he turned, all of that was heightened,’ Elena whispered.

‘He killed her and made up this entire lie about their father, so that he wouldn't lose Rebekah as well,’ I finished. It all made sense now!

‘I need to tell Rebekah.’ Elena grabbed the photos and hurried outside. 

A/N

GAAAAHHHH YOU GUYS! :D I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! I can't believe this story has made 15+ reading lists! And over 50 votes! This deserves a celebration! *mini dance party* First to comment gets a dedication! :) I also have a little announcement: My updates for this story are going to be almost every day or two because I'm trying to finish it before school starts. So I hope you guys continue to read until the end. Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it!