six

"so how was it?" calum asks niall as he gets home. it's no surprise that calum is laying on his couch, eating his food, even though niall isn't home. 

niall lets out a loud sigh and lays on the couch, his cheek on calum's ribcage. calum runs his hand through niall's hair affectionately.

"it was good," niall mumbles shyly. "i like him...he's a dork. a hot dork."

calum snorts. "that's good. i'm glad it was good." he pats the top of niall's hand and moves his hand.

"no," niall whines, grabbing calum's hand and making him play with his hair again. 

"so who are you going out with next?"

"louis, i think," niall mumbles. "c, this is really scary."

"you've got nothing to worry about. there's no pressure. you're not obligated to do anything. just go out with them and have a good time," calum says gently.

niall lets out a sigh and snuggles closer into calum's side. "what about you? what's going on with you and luke?"

calum shifts a little, blushing. "i...i don't really know..."

niall lifts his head off calum's side and asks, "has something happened?"

calum wrinkles his nose. "no."

niall nudges him. "you're keeping secrets from me! how could you!?"

"i'm not," calum laughs. "i just...things are complicated. i'm not really sure what he wants. and, um, this other guy...his name's ashton...he, um..." calum's cheeks pink further. "he seems kinda interested in me, too. so we'll see, i guess."

niall's jaw drops. "are you serious?"

"oh, shut up," calum mutters, embarrassed. "it's not a big deal. i don't think anything will even come of it, so chill out."

"you're gonna end up with multiple boyfriends," niall laughs, and calum rolls his eyes. 

"idiot," calum mumbles, and niall just turns his head and kisses calum's side. "why?"

"i'm not gonna get up just to kiss your head, dude," niall huffs, and calum rolls his eyes for what feels like the millionth time.

- - -

"you ready?" louis asks niall, beaming at him. niall is drowning in ocean blue eyes, and nods shyly. louis puts a hand out for niall's, and niall takes it. "so, how did things go with harry?"

niall wrinkles his nose, blushing. "good... i had fun." when he looks over at louis, he's smiling.

"he said he thought it went well. i just thought i'd ask. guess i have to step up my game, huh?"

niall lets out a small giggle. he likes louis. "yeah, i guess so."

louis is still smiling. niall likes it. "i'm not worried," he grins confidently. "i think you'll get a kick out of this."

"you scare me less than the rest of them," niall says quietly. he doesn't mean that meanly, and he has nothing against harry, liam, or zayn. louis just seems softer somehow. safer.

"why's that?" louis asks as they get in the car.

"i don't know," niall mumbles, playing with his fingers. "they're very...intimidating, i think. you're....softer. nicer. not that they're mean, but --"

"don't worry," louis interrupts, grinning. "i know what you mean."

niall lets out a relieved sigh. he doesn't want to offend louis. "where are we going?"

"do you really want me to tell you?"

niall hesitates. "...no. yes. i don't know."

louis laughs. "okay. i won't tell you," he decides, and niall lets out a loud whine in protest. they drive the last few miles, louis distracting him by asking him questions about himself. louis is almost as dorky as harry somehow, and niall finds himself laughing much more than he'd expected to. his chest feels all warm and glowy. 

"ooooh!" niall gasps out, and lets out a high-pitched giggle. "louis, did you bring me to build-a-bear?"

"i did," louis laughs in response. "see, i have this theory," he says, taking niall's hand as they get out of the car. 

"explain the theory."

"well, i have this theory that every adorable human on the face of the human loves build-a-bear...and clearly, it's proven right, because you love it."

niall is blushing. "then you must like it, too!"

louis raises an eyebrow. "are you calling me adorable, cutie?"

"maybe," niall mumbles, still blushing. louis, still smiling, runs a thumb over niall's warm, red cheek. 

"goddamn, you're cute," he mutters, and niall has to turn his head because he's blushing so much. "shall we go make you a bear?"

"i'll feel dumb if i'm the only one making one," niall frowns.

louis laughs a little. "okay, we'll both make one," he decides. he knows it was the right decision because niall brightens, and tugs louis into the shop. they pick bears out for each other. louis picks an eevee for niall because it's cuddly and cute, just like the blond, and niall picks out a spiderman bear for louis. "good choice," louis beams, and niall beams right back.

"her name is candy corn," niall tells louis as he types the name into the computer for the birth certificate.

"candy corn?" louis snorts.

niall nods firmly. "it's the best candy. and she deserves the best."

"i'm just naming mine spiderman," louis notes.

"no!" niall frowns. "name him donald glover."

louis chuckles. "that's a good decision, actually. he would've made such a good spiderman."

niall nods proudly, and louis can't help but kiss his cheek. that only makes niall blush again, clutching candy corn to his chest.

"thank you," he says shyly as louis pays for them. he'd reached for his wallet, but louis gave him a look that prevented him from even pulling it out of his pocket.

"aw, you're welcome, cutie. i hope you had as good of a time as i did." louis kisses the back of niall's hand.

"i did," niall grins, and when louis smiles back, his gaze is fond, and butterflies erupt in niall's stomach and chest.