Chapter 23b: Astral burst (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"No, probably not," Mr. Stuart conceded. "Anything they do will likely be covert."

Dr. Stuart was watching Rigel, her brow furrowed, compassion in her hazel eyes. Clearly, she knew how important tonight was to him. "I don't think you need to skip the game, Rigel. It wouldn't be fair to your teammates. And M is right that the risks this soon, and in that setting, should be minimal. We can keep a close eye on her while you're on the field."

I nodded vigorously. "And if Smith comes anywhere near me, I'll scream. How's that?"

He didn't smile, but some of the tension left his mouth and eyes. "Promise?"

"Promise. I'll be fine. And you'll be fantastic. On the field, I mean," I clarified, not wanting his parents to get the wrong idea.

I thought I heard a muffled chuckle from his dad, but then his mom said, "All right, that's settled. How about some of these sandwiches, kids? And M, why don't you call your aunt and uncle and let them know you'll be going to the game with us."

Though Aunt Theresa wasn't happy--when was she ever?--she didn't insist I come home first, which I'd half expected she might. But she did say that she and Uncle Louie would drive me back from the game.

"Both of you are coming to the game?" I asked in surprise. I couldn't remember Aunt Theresa attending a football game before.

"It's Homecoming," she said without any other explanation. "We'll meet you at the car as soon as the game is over."

We got to the game early, of course, since Rigel had to warm up. After a few last, totally unnecessary, words of caution from both Rigel and his parents, he went to join the team and they went to sit at the top of the stands, so they could keep an eye on things (meaning me). I went to sit with Bri and Deb, near the fifty yard line, as usual.

"So, you're back in with Rigel's folks, too?" Bri asked, glancing up the stands to where they were sitting, a dozen rows behind us. "Guess you weren't going back to his place for smoochies after all, huh?"

"Bri!" I punched her in the arm, but I also laughed. It was nice to pretend gossip was the worst I had to worry about for a little while. "Thanks again for the dress, by the way. It saved me having to ask my aunt to take me shopping--and actually going with her, if she'd said yes."

"It fits you better than me anyway," she said.

"And that sea green is a great color on you, M," Deb chimed in. "I can't wait till tomorrow night!"

"Me, either," I said, trying not to think about what might happen before then. I'd be really pissed if the bad guys kept me from going to the Homecoming dance!

I did my best to focus on the game, but other than appreciating the hotness that was Rigel on the field, I can't claim I was really following it. I was aware of my aunt and uncle at the left-hand end of the bleachers and even more aware of Mr. Smith at the right-hand end. Though I never caught him watching me, I was sure he was. Even the Homecoming parade at halftime, with its absurd tissue-paper floats, barely registered. Except for the Homecoming Court.

I watched Rigel and Trina ride past, representing the sophomore class, both of them looking acutely uncomfortable. The voting had happened last week, when they were still "together." Trina waved to the stands with jerky little motions, but Rigel didn't even do that. He just stared in my direction the whole time they circled the field.

Shortly after the game resumed, maybe ten minutes into the third quarter, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Looking up, I saw Dr. Stuart, her beautiful mouth tight with strain. Leaning down, she spoke softly and quickly into my ear, not that anyone would have heard her anyway, with all the yelling. We'd just scored, putting us ahead 22 - 7.

"We need to go," she said. "Mr. Smith just left and Van thinks we should follow him. If we're not back by the time the game ends, do you think your aunt and uncle would give Rigel a ride home?"

"Of course," I said. Aunt Theresa was all about hospitality, so I couldn't imagine her refusing.

I wanted to ask what they thought Smith might be planning, but with a last squeeze of my shoulder, she hurried to join Mr. Stuart, who was already heading for the gate.

**If you enjoyed this, please vote for it and share it with your friends--I'll be adding an update every week on Friday or Saturday! :)

** Sign up for my newsletter at http://smarturl.it/BrendaNewsletter for a FREE Starstruck short story! Oh, and if you just can't wait to finish reading STARSTRUCK, the complete ebook is available FREE at all major online retailers, so you can read it on your phone or tablet! See http://starstruckseries.com for download info :)