Chapter 20b: Black hole (part 2)

CHAPTER 20

Black hole (part 2)

"You didn't mention that Jewel lost last night," Uncle Louie greeted me when I dragged myself down to breakfast the next morning, pointing at the sports section open in front of him. "Your guy Rigel have an off game?"

I shrugged, trying to hide my surprise. "I guess. We've still had an amazing season so far, though."

He agreed with that, then went on to speculate about the sectionals coming up.

I didn't really listen. I was thinking about last night--again. As if obsessing and crying half the night hadn't been enough. I knew I shouldn't be glad the team lost, but I couldn't help hoping, in the most petty part of my mind, that Rigel felt every bit as lousy as I did. It seemed only fair.

"You'd better eat and get started on your chores," Aunt Theresa said. Her interruption was actually welcome until she added, "You have your belt test today, remember."

Crap. I never would have forgotten about that BR--Before Rigel. Nor was I at all confident I could pass, given how I was feeling. But first I had to get through the bathroom cleaning and lawn mowing without letting on how sick and weak I felt. The last thing I needed was Aunt Theresa deciding I had to see a doctor.

Mowing took a lot more out of me than usual, even though it was overcast and cooler today. It also took longer, which meant I had less time to rest before leaving for taekwondo.

The belt test was a disaster. I couldn't seem to remember my form, and even though two weeks ago I'd been doing great with my roundhouse kick against the targets, I just could not get the board to break. Finally, Master Parker took me aside.

"Marsha, I think you'd better retest in a couple of weeks, when you're feeling better. I'm surprised your aunt even let you come, as sick as you seem to be."

Was it really that obvious? "I, um, I didn't feel bad when I got up, sir," I lied, since it really wasn't Aunt Theresa's fault. "I guess it's just something that came on quickly."

"Let's hope it will pass as quickly," he said. "I'd hate to see you lose all the progress you've made over the past month or two."

"Me too, sir," I said meekly, not feeling up to any explanations even if I'd had one I could share.

It was starting to mist as I walked home, but I didn't hurry. With every step, I went deeper into wallow-mode, telling myself I was the lamest person who ever lived. First I lose my soul-mate to Trina, of all people, and now I can't even pass a belt test that several little bitty kids passed without difficulty.

No matter how slowly I went, though, I had to reach home eventually. I tried to pull myself together before going inside.

Bri had called while I was at class, so I called her back as soon as Aunt Theresa gave me the message, ready for any distraction from my most recent screwup. But her first words brought me right back to the other topic I wanted to avoid.

"Wow, you really know which games to miss, don't you?"

"Yeah, I heard we lost. That's too bad."

She sighed heavily, but then said, "Well, maybe you won't feel as bad when you hear why. Rigel was even worse than last week. He could barely complete a pass at all! In fact, he was so bad, the coach benched him halfway through the third quarter, if you can believe it."