“Oh, alright.  Well I hope your mother feels better soon.  You must be happy that it’s cancelled.”  He chuckles.

I bite my lip without responding.

“In that case, maybe I could come over and we can spend the day together.  We can do whatever you want now.”

I continue to chew my bottom lip, hesitating before I answer.  “I would love that, Peter…but, I’ve got a lot of things to do, some homework and stuff.  I’ll call you later though, okay?”

I can tell he has a frown on his face and I’m filled with momentary guilt.

“Okay, baby.  Call me or text me if you need anything.  I love you!”  He chimes.

I smile, feeling my cheeks flush slightly.  “I love you too, Peter.”

I hang up and quickly finish straightening my hair.  I stare at myself in the mirror as I sit at the little table in my room with the mirror resting on top of it.  I know exactly what I’ve done and what I want to do now but…I shouldn’t.  Why does everything seem so different now?  Why is it so hard to choose between what is right and what I really want all of a sudden?

Because you want him.  My subconscious answers.

I find myself standing up from the table, rushing downstairs and slipping on my flats before reaching for the front door.

“Rose?”

I freeze and slowly turn to face my mother standing a few feet away.

“Where are you going?  You still have to get ready for tonight.”  She says matter-of-factly while furrowing her eyebrows annoyingly at me.

“I know.  I’m just going to get Peter.”  I answer quickly.

Her expression instantly softens.  “Oh, alright.  Be back soon.”

I nod as I close the door behind me and run down the walkway and onto the sidewalk.

***

My heart is thumping hard in my chest as I start walking up to the door of the warehouse.  I’m ignoring all the signals going off in my head telling me this is wrong as I lightly knock my fist on the door without hesitation.

Liam opens the door this time, his eyes widening at the sight of me.  “Rose.  You’re back.”  He says, sounding surprised.

“I’m here to see Louis.”  I tell him, my tone hopeful.

He bites his lip, decreasing the space between him and the door as he stands in the doorway.  “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea, Rose.”

I narrow my eyes at him.  “I need to see him…please.”  I beg.

He looks at me sympathetically and frowns.  “Alright.”  He steps back, opening the door and gesturing for me to step in.

The curly-haired boy that answered the door last time is sitting on the couch with a blond-haired boy that I didn’t see last time I was here.  How many boys live in this warehouse?

The two boys stare at me intently as I walk in, I avoid eye contact with them and turn to Liam as he shuts the door.

“Is he in his room?”  I ask.

Liam nods.  I give him a small smile and turn to walk down towards the hallway, feeling uneasy as I feel the gazes of the three boys on me before turning the corner.

I lightly knock on Louis’ bedroom door and fidget a little as I wait for him to answer.

“What?”  I hear him call out.  He sounds agitated.