(16) Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart

Chapter 16

We spent the night, dancing, kissing and drinking champagne, it was perfect and everything I could ever have dreamed of. We slept over at the lodge and then went home the next morning.  Grover had informed my parents that we would be staying at the lodge so that they didn’t worry when we didn’t come back home but he didn’t tell them that he was going to ask me to marry him. They were both really excited though, my dad congratulated us with a big smile and my mom started crying from happiness.

I showed them the ring but not one of them seemed to notice how big and expensive it must have been. Maybe I was just being paranoid again.

I couldn’t let it go though, the question of where he got the money was rolling over and over in my mind and as much as I just wanted to be happy I was really worried.

When Sunday came I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to ask him, I had to know.

“I want to ask you something but please don’t get mad,” I said when I finally coughed up enough courage.

“Yeah, what is it?” Grover asked, sitting back on my bed. He had a huge smile on his face and although he seemed really happy I could tell that he was worried about something.

“Where did you get the money from to pay for the ring?” I asked, holding out my hand and taking another look at it.

The smile disappeared from Grover’s face and before he could answer me I already knew I wasn’t going to like what he had to say.

“I did a few extra jobs” he answered, looking away from me.

“For my dad?” I questioned, wondering why he wouldn’t have told me about it before. Maybe he wanted to surprise me with the ring… No, from the way he was acting now I could tell that it wasn’t the reason. He didn’t want me to know, but why?

“No,” was all he answered.

“Ok, for who then and what did you do?” I asked, my insides starting to twitch as my heartbeat accelerated.

“It doesn’t matter, just be happy,” he replied, his voice shaking a bit.

His answer infuriated me and caused me to jump up from my bed and run around it to where he was sitting. He was going to tell me exactly what the hell is going on or he is going to see a completely different side of me.

“It does matter and I won’t be happy until I know where the money that paid for this ring came from so you better start talking right now!” I yelled, my voice raging with anger.

“Please, can’t you just let it go?” he asked, begging me with his eyes.

“No way,” I replied, trying to calm myself down.

“I don’t want you to be involved, I just wanted to make you happy,” Grover stated, shaking his head.

“Whatever it is, I am already involved, and you do make me happy, even if you didn’t give this ring to me. Now please just tell me what is going on,” I begged, sitting down next to him and taking his hand in mine.

I could tell that he was battling with whatever it is that he did so I figured I would try to help instead of yell at him, he deserved to be heard out before I started acting like a crazy person.

“I met up with Boyd’s brother Mark and started doing a few jobs for him, nothing major, just dropping off some packages and collecting some money,” Grover answered and I swear , as he spoke those words it felt like my whole world came crashing down around me.

“Why? How…? I trailed off, not knowing what to a say. How could he do that? After what happened the last time? What was he thinking?

“I know it was stupid but I guess I’m just an idiot. He phoned and offered me the job and I just couldn’t say no. I swear I wanted to but I was thinking about how much money I could make and all the things I could give you,” he said, his face a mixture of emotions.

“I’ve told you a million times that I don’t care about what you can buy me, all I want is your love,” I said, furious that he still thinks he needs to buy me expensive things.

“I know, but I want to give you everything,” he replied, smiling sadly.

“I know but please don’t do this, just ignore him or tell him that you can’t work for him anymore. I don’t want you to have anything to do with him or his business,” I stated, cringing at the thought of what might happen if he gets caught delivering drugs or something.

“Ok, I’ll tell him but please keep the ring,” Grover replied but it sounded more like a question. As if he was asking me if I’ve changed my mind about marrying him.