(14) Wild At Heart

Wild At Heart

Chapter 14

Grover didn’t quite react like I hoped he would when I told him the news but agreed to take the job and come live with us anyway. I was hoping that he would be happy about it but I was very wrong. He said that he is grateful but that it felt like he was using my family and didn’t like the idea of other people supporting him. He did seem to be happy about the fact that we were going to be sharing a house, which made me feel a bit better.

He moved in the next weekend and it didn’t take us long before we had one of the spare bedrooms all set up. He didn’t have much stuff after all.

I would have preferred to have him stay in my room with me but I knew that my parents wouldn’t agree to it so I didn’t even mention it. We will just have to sneak around a bit.

The garage closed down the next week and before we knew it Grover was working at my dad’s company.  I couldn’t quite figure out if he was enjoying it but he said that it was ok.

The next few months flew by fast and everything seemed to be going perfectly. It appeared that Grover had gotten comfortable with living with us and he seemed really happy. He was doing well at his job and he even started studying so that he could complete his senior certificate and further advance his education. My dad’s company was paying for it though and I knew that he didn’t like the idea.

We went to my metric farewell together and everybody looked jealous when I showed on his arm. He is extremely hot after all. I felt so happy that night that I couldn’t even imagine what was to come.

It all started at my sister’s wedding. That’s when everything went to shit. I could tell that Grover was in a strange mood but it was only after the wedding and at the reception when I noticed that something was really wrong with him. He looked really depressed and didn’t even bother asking me to dance, which was extremely weird.

“What’s wrong?” I whispered, squeezing his hand in mine.

“Nothing,” he replied, but I knew that he was lying.

“I can tell that you are upset, please tell me what’s bothering you,” I begged softly, moving even closer to him.

“It’s this,” he answered, waving his hand around to the gorgeously decorated hall around us.

“You deserve things like this and I’ll never be able to give them to you. I’m not good enough for you” he replied, pushing back his chair and storming out of the reception hall.

I didn’t even bother to look around to see who saw our little scene.  I just jumped up and ran after him.

“Stop!” I yelled, grabbing a hold of his arms, when I finally caught up with him in the parking lot.

“You should just let me go,” Grover said, turning to face me and what I saw nearly broke my heart. He had tears running down his cheeks and although he told me that I should let him go I knew that’s not what he really wanted.

“Never,” I whispered as I wrapped my arms around him tightly.

“I love you and no matter what you say or do I am never going to leave you or allow you to walk out of my life,” I stated when I  finally pulled away and gently brushed away the tears that was still rolling from his eyes.

“I’m not good enough for you,” he said again, causing me to get a bit angry. How on earth could he think so little of himself? He is the most amazing person I have ever met.

“You are everything I want and everything I need so stop saying that,” I replied, trying to sound stern but my voice was all scratchy and trembling.

“Ok, but I still think you deserve so much better than me,” he replied, smiling slightly.

“Well, you’re wrong and I couldn’t’ find anybody better even if I tried,” I whispered as I leaned forward and pressed my lips against his.