Chapter 10 (2) - New Faces

Sjin walked over to his locker at the end of the hallways. He looked around for Sips, but couldn’t see him anywhere. He decided to get his books out early, even though he didn’t need them for a while. 15 minutes, to be exact. Sjin always liked to be on time, and was rarely late. It was usually Sips that kept him behind, whether it be for class, or in class work. He copied his work, but he didn’t mind. Sips was his best friend. No one had taken a liken to him since, well, for as long as Sjin could remember.

He dialled his combination into his lock, turned the key and pulled it open. When he opened it, a small package fell to the ground. He bent down to pick it up, and looked at the small, tiny present. Probably a trinket from Minty. He opened the wrapper to find a small box with a necklace inside. It was nice, but not usually the thing he’d wear. It wasn’t a thing Minty would give either. He pondered over the reason why he had got it, and who it was from. He’d ask Minty in class.

'Yo, Sjin! You coming or what?' Sips called to him beside the vending machines. He remembered that place very well. The first time he had met Toby. Sjin shook his head, and yelled back at Sips.

'Yeah, in a sec!' He called back, and sips smiled at laughed at him.

'You always tell me not to be late! You're a big dum dum, Sjin!' He laughed and Sjin smiled back. It was moments like these that he loved. When everything was peaceful, and not in a mood where war was about to happen. He had considered apologising, But didn't know how they all would react. Would Martyn threaten him? Would Sips forget him, for being a wimp? Sjin didn't want to take any chances. He closed his locker and put the necklace in his pocket. He locked up his locker, and started making his way over to Sips. 

'That took you long enough, what was it, that you were looking at?' Sips looked at him, eyes full of wonder. Sjin took the necklace out of his pocket and showed it to Sips. He decided to be a big man this time, replying with;

'Oh, its just some necklace Minty got me, Not a big deal.' Sjin put it back in his pockets.

'Oh.' Sips sighed. Sjin looked at him, with a questioning look.

'Why, whats wrong?' Sjin asked, worried he had upset his friend. Sips started to walk away, leaving Sjin standing alone.

'Hey hey! Wait up, whats going on?' Sjin asked. Sips kept walking, but slowing down for him to catch up.

'Nothing, come on, we're late.' Sips mumbled. Sjin knew something was wrong, but didn't dare to question anything. They walked to class in silence, and arrived a little late.

.

.

'Ah, boys. Glad to see you've joined us. Take your seats while i write you a late note.' The teacher glared at them from across the room. Great, another thing he would have to talk to his parents about. Sjin kept looking over towards Sips, but Sips wouldn't return his looks. Maybe something was up. He’d ask at Lunch, not wanting to sound too interested. He decided to give up on Sips, and turn his attention to Minty. He leaned over to the side of the desk, whispering while showing the necklace under the desk.

'Hey Mint, did you give me this?' He whispered in a low voice.

'No, Why?' She replied, not looking up at him. If it wasn't her, then who was it? Minty realized Sjin didn't answer, but was looking back and forth between the necklace and Sips. He had a look of terror in his eyes.

'Sjin, you don't think-' Minty started to calm him down, but Sjin leaned the other way, he felt sick. He was a sickly pale colour, and soon enough the Teacher asked if he needed the bathroom.

'Y-yes M-miss-' He replied in a shaken voice. Everyone looked up as he left the room, heading towards the bathroom. Sjin walked in, and looked in the mirror. Was that why Sips was so angry at him? He did call his gift crap, after all. But did Sips actually have, feelings, for him? He knew he loved Minty, And nothing could change that. He sat in the bathroom for a while, until he heard someone come in. 

'S-sjin? Are you in here?' A voice came from outside the stall. Sjin flushed and came out to a surprised Lewis waiting there. 

'What happened? Are you okay?' Lewis asked him, over and over, But all Sjin could do was shake his head. No, it wasn't okay. Nothing was.

'Do you need water? You can tell me Sjin, you know you can. We've had our fall outs, but thats the past. Its okay Sjin.' Lewis comforted him. It felt nice to actually have someone that cared about you in a non-gay way. 

'Its.. Sips' Sjin replied, beaten by the lack of sense this was all making. Why now had he decided that he would show his love? It didn't make sense! Sjin began to tell Lewis everything, the necklace, how Sips reacted, Minty, and now this. Lewis looked back at him with a calming look. 

'Look Sjin, you technically have no proof it was Sips. It could have been anyone.' Lewis suggested but Sjin's mind was set on Sips loving him. He just couldn't love him back. Before they knew it, the bell for new class had rung. 

'C'mon, Lets get our bags' Lewis dragged him out of the bathrooms, but Sjin was still stuck in a daze. He was a bit of it all day.

**********

Sjin walked out of the room and Sips looked at the door as he left. Why was he acting so weird? Surely it wasn’t because of that necklace again. He always got these crazy ideas, and had no proof to back them up. He slide into the seat beside Minty. She looked up at him with anger.

'What?' Sips looked around to see if there was anything offensive about him. Not that he could see, at least.

'You know what, don't lie. Look, Sjin wouldn't want me to talk about it anyway.' Minty spat at him. Sips never realized Minty could get as feisty as Sjin when she was mad. He backed off and when back to his own seat.  He sat in wonder what was running around in Sjin's little brain. He watched as Lewis asked to go out to the bathroom. Probably to check on Sjin. They had been good friends since, forever. but not as long as Sips and Sjin. They began to break away when Sips joined the crew, and so did most of his friends. The only ones left was really Minty and Lewis.

Sips looked around as the bell rang. The only person who he could really walk with to the next class was Minty, and she didn’t seem like she wanted too, so he made his way over to Simon and Duncan.

'H-hey Guys.' He waved as he walked over.

'Uh.. Hey.. Sips?' Simon waved back, but with a confused look. 

'Mind if I walk with you's?' He mumbled, looking at the floor then back up into their eyes. Duncan rolled his, and Simon the same.

'I guess, but don't pull any tricks.' Duncan sighed. Sips smiled and walked behind them happily, like a little trained puppy.

*********

'Well Kim, heres the lockers. Thats the end of the tour, and right now we have..' Hannah looked at her watch, 'History! Follow me to the History rooms.' 

Kim followed Hannah towards the room. She recognised this place okay, and especially the lockers. She walked past them earlier, Looking at the vending machines. Thats around the time when Hannah lost Kim, and that wouldn’t be good for her rep. Hannah arrived first into the classrooms, introducing the first new student, Kim. She smiled and waved, cheerful and confident. Simon looked at her, and they both shared a somewhat, ‘special’ look. Hannah rolled her eyes and whispered to Simon for him not to get him hopes up.

Sjin and Lewis arrived last. Sjin took a seat beside Lewis, rather than Sips. Everyone in the class found this crazy. Had they fallen out? This was great news, and encouraged the class to spread some ‘rumors’.

Hannah didn’t really mind all the drama, she was too busy showing Kims the ropes of the school.

********

'You doing alright?' Lewis asked, in a low but comforting voice. Sjin looked at him, and smiled. He was feeling better, not having to deal with the situation. But he dreaded the time he actually had too. But he'd leave that for later. Probably when they were alone. Until then, He'd stay with Lewis and co, sharing past stories of childhood memories. His favourite was when Lewis met Hannah. It kind of reminded him of Him and Minty.

Love and first sight.