Chapter 4: A Friend

Start from the beginning

"Say bye-bye Bats," said Smooth Voice as he unleashed a magazine of bullets on Batman. Thinking fast, Batman knocked Squeaky Voice down and flipped the table diving behind it. The bullets were beginning to pierce the wood. Once the shooting stopped, Batman quickly pulled out a Batarang and threw it at Smooth Voice.

It hit Smooth Voice in the hand and he dropped the gun with a cry. Batman leaped over the table and landed a swift punch to Smooth Voice's jaw. He was knocked onto his back and Batman pressed his foot down on Smooth Voice's chest.

Squeaky Voice tried rushing Batman from behind but Batman just whipped his fist up over his shoulder, effectively knocking Squeaky Voice out.

"Now that's better," he commented as he put more pressure on Smooth Voice's chest. "Tell me where Zucco is," he demanded.

"No way, I ain't no squealer," replied Smooth Voice. Batman gave him a small grin and started cracking his knuckles.

"Okay okay, he's on the far side of Gotham hiding out in one of the abandoned apartment buildings!" Smooth Voice cried.

Batman bent his knee and rested his elbow on it, causing Smooth Voice to wheeze as more air was forced out of his lungs, "Now that wasn't so hard was it?"

Batman removed his foot from Smooth Voice's chest and fled out the door just as Gruff Voice began to come to. "Crazy bat," muttered Smooth Voice.

THE ALL MIGHTY LINE BREAK RETURNS! NOW BACK TO THE STORY!

Batman drove into the Batcave and parked the Batmobile. He hopped out and strode towards the Batcomputer. He sat down in the chair in front of the large computer and began typing rapidly.

The elevator opened, revealing Alfred. The old butler walked over to the caped crusader. "Productive night Master Bruce?" Alfred asked.

"I have a possible lead on Zucco's location. He's somewhere on the other side of Gotham hiding in an abandoned apartment building. From now on, Tony Zucco gets my full attention," Batman said.

"How fortunate for Zucco, because there are two little boys upstairs aching for some of that attention," Alfred commented.

"I'm doing this for them," Batman defended, standing up to face Alfred.

"I'm sure revenge is sweet. However, right now I think those boys need a friend more than a crime fighter," Alfred added.

Batman frowned and removed his cowl, revealing the handsome face of Bruce Wayne.

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL LINE BREAK RETURNS! CONTINUE READING!

Bruce walked up the stairs and stood in front of the door that led to the room that the boys shared. Bruce had offered them separate rooms but they insisted on staying together. He turned the knob and opened the door.

The brothers were seated on the window seat side by side staring out into the night. Danny's head was resting on his brother's shoulder. "Hey boys, how ya doin'?" Bruce asked.

Danny and Dick quickly wiped their eyes, "Fine," Dick mumbled.

Bruce walked over to the brothers as they turned to face him, "Sorry I haven't been around lately. I kinda forget how big and lonely this place can get."

"It's ok," Dick answered. Danny still remained silent.

Bruce took a seat on the window beside Danny, "Hey, I may have some free time starting tomorrow." Bruce reached into his pocket, "How would you boys like to see the Gotham Knight's season opener?"

"Sounds fun," replied Dick.

"What about you Danny?" Bruce asked. Danny just nodded.

Bruce put the tickets back into his pocket, "I know it must be hard on you two." Bruce placed a hand on Danny's shoulder. The boy instantly broke into sobs.

"It's my fault. I had heard Mister Haly arguing with him earlier. I saw him enter the tent. I saw him leave. I knew he didn't belong there. I could have done something," Danny sobbed as he bent over and placed his head in his hands.

Bruce rubbed the boys back until his sobs started to stop, "I know. You keep thinking.... if only I could have done something differently. If only I could have warned them."

Danny looked up at the billionaire, "But there isn't anything you could have done," Bruce finished, standing up and walking over to the painting of his parents.

Dick and Danny stood up and walked over to the man. They stared up at the painting. "Your mom and dad?" Dick questioned. Bruce nodded.

Dick looked down. "Does the hurt ever go away?" Danny asked as he stared up at the man.

Bruce's expression turned sad as he turned to the boys, "I wish I could say yes," he said as he placed a hand on both of the boy's shoulders.

He knelt down so that he was eye level with the boys, "But it will get better in time. For both of you. I promise."

Danny shook with sobs and he leaned into Bruce, wrapping his arms around him in a hug. Dick soon joined the hug. And so the three of them sat there on the floor, wrapped in a warm hug.

He felt the brother's tears on his suit. But he didn't care about the suit. He cared about the boys. Zucco would pay. He would make sure of it.

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed the latest chappie. I know this seems a little slow moving as this is a Teen Titans crossover not a Batman crossover but I promise that part will be coming eventually. Please let me know your thoughts and don't forget to vote! See you all in the next one!