Chapter Two: So Close

Blusie's P.O.V

Once Pearl and I made it to the town, occasionally tripping over a loose root or rock, we found a Motel.

Pearl decided that we would leave in the morning.

The owner of the Motal smiled at us when we walked in the door.

Pearl had also helped me hid my wings beneath my shirt, obscuring them from view.

The woman behind the desks forehead creased, when she saw our reaped and dirty clothes.

Swallowing, I looked down at my bare feet, sore from trudging across the rough terrain.

I noticed, at closer observation, that the badge penned to her shirt read, Donna Smith.

She smiled and said, "You two look very tired, would you like to sleep here tonight?"

I nodded eagerly and followed her as she lead us back outside.

Pearl put her hand on my shoulder and pulled me back.

"Be careful, I-I don't know if we can trust her," she whispered, a calculating look replaced her worried one.

The woman, Ms. Smith, stoped at a wooden door, painted a shade of green darker than the grass I saw previously. She took a key out of her pocket and unlocked the door. After pushing it open, she turned toward us.

"I'll bring you both some clean clothes. My daughter has some old clothes you can have," she said, as Pearl walked into the room with me trailing behind her.

Pearl muttered a thank you as Ms. Smith closed the door and left.

Finally, I got a good look at the room.

It had creamy colored walls and two small beds. On one side of the room was a slightly ajar door, which lead to a bathroom.

A few minutes later, Ms. Smith returned with a older girl with her.

The other girls hair was a pretty brown color and was pulled back in a weird style I'd seen the female scientists at "The School."

The girl looked confused as she stepped into the room, carrying a small bag.

Ms. Smith also entered, carried a colorful book in her hand and a small yellow box.

The girl with pretty brown hair introduced herself as Raely Smith.

After shutting the door, Raely walked over to me and bent down to my height.

"Hello," she said, "What's your name?"

I looked at the ground again and mumbled, "Blusie."

When I looked back up, Raely smiled and asked, "Are you and the other girl sisters?"

I shook my head and looked at Pearl, who was sitting on a bed cross-legged and was watching a strange box.

Raely got to her feet and asked, "Do you need help to shower?"

I shook my head again and she walked with me to the bathroom.

After I'd asked what everything was, Raely left and I began washing years of dirt off my body.
I've never had a shower before...

I thought, as I reached for the shampoo.

About ten minutes later, I heard a knock on the door.

I nearly jumped out of my skin and quickly pulled my wings tightly against my back.
Then I heard a female voice say, "Are you almost done, Blusie?"