6, And Suddenly You're My Main Priority

After walking around for most of the day, spending short periods of time here and there, the boys settled for heading to the park and occupying the rest of their evening on the swings like the previous night, and stealing small kisses from each other, and every little while Gerard would find himself giggling at the morning's events.

"Shut up, will you?" Frank groaned on their way to the swingset.

"Aw, c'mon, Frankie; it was pretty funny, you know it was!" Gerard grinned, nudging his boyfriend's shoulder as the sun began to set into the horizon.

"Whatever," Frank sighed, trying to hide a small smile as he sat on one of the swings. Gerard sat next to him and began to push himself back and forth, maintaining the rhythm until he was as high as he could get, smiling at Frank from above and trying his best to prod the human's arm each time he came down.

Frank just laughed at the vampire's attempts when he almost fell off the swing entirely, falling sideways and not being able to sit back up until he'd ceased swinging and was sat stationary. "Don't laugh! That's really mean, and I could've fallen and gotten hurt!" Gerard crossed his arms over his chest, trying not to laugh with the shorter boy.

As the boys' laughing slowly died down, Gerard became somewhat unsettled at the sudden change in the sky; the horizon was barely that pretty orange-pinkish colour anymore. It was now a dark red, mixing into a deep brandy purple, then finally fading into a proud patriot blue.

"What's wrong?" Frank inquired, almost afraid of the answer.

"Uhm, I think we should get going someplace else," Gerard swallowed nervously.

"Why, Gee? What's going on?"

"Yeah, Gee, what's up?" A voice that belonged to neither boy was heard close behind them, and both Gerard and Frank snapped their heads to sound.

"Pete." Gerard arose from his seat slowly.

"The one and only!" The voice, Pete, replied.

"Go away; you know you're not supposed to be in this area," the paler beast spoke sternly.

"Awh, that's no way to speak to your best friend, is it?" The tanned boy bared his fangs and grinned at Frank, "Can you believe this guy?" He laughed.

Gerard practically snorted at the second vampire's comment, "Best friend?! You must be insane if you think we're still friends after what you did to my brother!"

"Oh, come on! Mikey's forgiven me, why can't you?!" Pete forced his hands toward Gerard in question.

"You almost killed him!" Gerard growled, his voice tumultuous. Frank hadn't seen his boyfriend angry until now, and, whether he'd admit it or not, Frank was beginning to get a little scared. This was so far away from the taller boy's usual, flirtatious attitude.

Frank stood from his swing slowly and placed a gentle hand on Gerard's wrist, "...Gee, please calm down." His voice was so quiet compared to that of his boyfriend's. As soon as Gerard felt the human's warm, soft hand, it was like the rest of the anger he had in that moment just disappeared, and he slowly pulled Frank into a close hug.

"The only reason Mikey's forgiven you is because he doesn't know any better." The pale boy murmured, still loud enough for the other vampire to hear.

"Look, I confessed I messed up. I've apologised to the both of you, like, a billion times." He sighed, "You know I didn't mean to, and you know I'd never hurt him on purpose." Pete mumbled quickly and quietly.

Gerard huffed, "Why are you even here, Pete? I swear to, fucking, Lucifer! If you hurt my brother again, I will kill you."

"No, no! I'm not going anywhere near Mikes, I promise. I'm just checking out the area," at this remark, Gerard held Frank closer and tighter. "I just wanted to meet some more people, you know?"

"Oh, yeah? And then take advantage of them and almost kill them? I doubt my brother was even the first." Gerard grimaced.

"Hey! I didn't intend on hurting him." Pete defended.

"Oh, no, of course you didn't! You didn't think twice about using him, though."

"Gerard, we're vampires. That's generally what we're known best for; it's a mean cycle, but if it's all we're good at, well... We have to do it." Pete smirked wickedly.

"Well I refuse to be your stereotypical, idiotic vampire that can't control his urges or hunger." Gerard pulled away from the hug but still kept hold of one of his boyfriend's hands with both of his own, "Now, why are you really here, Pete?"

"If you really must know, Gerard," Pete's cocky smile twisted into a grin as he spoke maliciously, "Beckett's coming back, and this time he won't be stopped."

Gerard would've stopped breathing right then, if vampires needed to breath - "What do you mean? Beckett's dead. He died, he's dead! He was undead and then he died again - he's deader than dead!"

"Well, somehow he's been resurrected. And now he wants his property back - and I don't just mean his zone; he wants everyone he turned, and anyone they've turned." Pete spoke sadly toward the end of his words, "That's us two, Mikes, and pretty much half of Jersey - not to mention the however many vampires in Chicago."

"Malevolent bastard. He can't do this!" Gerard was close to tears, just the thought of what Beckett had done to other vampires in the past made him want to scream, let alone the possibility of any of it happening to his baby brother. "Why did you have to hurt Mikey? He could've been safe from all this, if it weren't for you!"

Pete's expression suddenly became sombre, "I was angry." He spoke softly, "You don't know what it's like to lose someone you love and have all this anger toward the person that did it."

Gerard sighed, "I almost did." He turned to Frank and lowered his voice to a whisper, "Come on, gorgeous, let's get you home; it's pretty dark." Frank nodded slowly, still trying to comprehend everything he'd heard.

"I'll text my mom now. Will you stay again tonight?"

"Of course." Gerard kissed the top of his boyfriend's head and unhurriedly lead Frank home, nodding a goodbye to Pete as he did so.