2, The Stars Will Never Be As Pretty As You

Frank woke with a start, but soon calmed down, realising it was only a night terror, and the events of his dream were only in his head. Weird, he thought to himself; he swore he could see the shadow of something on his desk, but he was unsure what it was until he decided it was time to emerge from his bed and get ready for the day.

As a result of the night arriving earlier in the season of winter, schools shut in September and all students were home-schooled from October to mid February. Now, in the middle of October, Frank's father taught him his lessons until new year, and from then his mother took over.

Thank whoever the hell made weekends, Frank silently cheered as he changed into an old, faded band tee and the skinny jeans he wore yesterday. He walked over to his desk to apply his 'guyliner' and smiled to himself when he realised the shadow was being emitted from the rose he received the night before.

"Frank," his father's voice called from downstairs, "Are you up?"

"Yeah," he lazily replied, opening his bedroom door and beginning to descend down the stairs.

"Mornin', hun!" His mother called sweetly from the kitchen, "Want some juice?"

"Please," he replied with a yawn, receiving a glass of fresh orange juice as soon as he stepped through the doorway.

"No breakfast again?" Frank's father gave him a disapproving glance and impatiently awaited his answer.

"Well seeing as there's only bacon and eggs for option, no, thanks," Frank walked out of the kitchen after finishing his drink in silence, and retreated to the bathroom; slinking to the door and fiddling with his shoes as he attempted to pull them on without bothering to untie the laces, he didn't notice his father approach until his voice was heard.

"I wish you would just be normal and eat proper food," his father sighed.

"I don't want to, dad. I'm happy with my diet." Frank successfully pulled on both his shoes and started tugging on his jacket as his father continued.

"Where are you going so early?"

"For a walk, dad. I walk every weekend, it's not unusual."

"Are you going to drop that attitude before you get back?" his father almost spat at him.

"Frank," his mother hissed, causing both Frank and his father turned around. "Not you, sweetie, enjoy your walk." she dismissed the teen, "You," she pointed at his father, also named Frank, tea towel waving in her grasp, "Leave the poor boy alone. He wants to be vegetarian, let him be vegetarian. And don't raise your voice at him for having an attitude; he's a teenager."

Frank's father sighed, exasperated, "Have fun, kid."

○○○

Frank had left his home around four hours ago now, and looking at his watch he saw it was almost two; he'd missed lunch again. Voicing his thoughts resulted in a reply from the shadows.

"Well how do you expect to be a good meal if you don't keep healthy, hm, Frankie?"

Frank turned around quickly, partly in fear but mostly in happiness, "Hey, Gerard," he smiled.

The vampire gave a small wave along with a smirk, "Seriously, though. If you don't eat, I can't." He joked and Frank chuckled along with him.

"Shame; what I wouldn't give to feed myself to a vampire that stalks me."

Gerard gasped, "That is insulting; I am not a stalker," the vampire pulled lightly on his black, shoulder length hair, twirling a thick strand between his fingers, "I just like to watch people, is all."

"And follow them to their house? At night? And sneak in through their bedroom window? Just to give them a flower? You're right, that's not stalker-ish in the least." Frank laughed.

"Well, what can I say? You caught my eye, Iero," the pale boy winked at Frank, causing him to blush slightly.

"Seriously, how do you know my name?" Frank asked, genuinely confused and honestly a little scared that this vampire knew who he was and probably more than he'd let on any time soon.

"Oh, you didn't catch my eye just last night; I've been watching you for, I'd say about a week."

"A week?!" Frank was very concerned for his safety now. "Why me, though? Like, why are you watching me if you're not going to drink my blood or whatever?"

Gerard gave a light laugh before reaching his arm out in a small gesture, silently asking Frank to join him in the shadows, "Because I like you more than I should."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean, Gera-" Frank's sentence was cut short by the vampire kissing his cheek and winking at him once more before disappearing into the darkness.

Frank sighed to himself, "Fucking vampire."

○○○

Returning home, Frank sneaked in through the back door and made a dash for the stairs, successfully getting to his bedroom door, but unsuccessfully being detected as the lock clicked shut.

"Frank?" his mother's tired voice called.

"Yeah," he sighed in defeat, "It's me."

"At least you're home earlier tonight. Did you eat out or do you want something now?" his mother came into view, ascending the stairs.

"No, I ate at that café around the corner, I'm fine," he lied easily.

"I thought they were closing down?" His mother's brow furrowed in confusion.

"No, they were going to, but they extended the date," Frank silently praised whatever god there was that this fact was true because his mother was sure to drive by and check on her way to work on Monday.

"Okay, sweetie. I'm going to bed now, your father got called into work around noon so he's working the weekend nights again this week."

Frank nodded, "Night, mom."