White Chocolate

"Brown sugar, babe, I gets high off your love, I don't know how to behave" Brown Sugar D'Angelo

It was an early Friday night as Pamela tried to get a quick nap in. The weekend was obviously the best time to catch up on some much needed sleep. During the week, she was putting in some overtime at work. Due to it being her alone, she had to work her a** off just to get by through the week. 

Scared that she wasn't going to have enough to pay the rent, though she was always adamant about paying early, she remained anxious, twirling her hands nervously. The new management at her job cut some of her hours down, shortening her already pitiful paycheck. At least she had enough, and that was all that counted. It still didn't change the fact that every night for the last week, she couldn't put any food in her stomach.

On one particular night, she'd even been tempted to take the left overs from her previous customers plates, desperate to put something in her belly. Every inch of her skin had been shaded fifty shades of red. It'd even turned the tips of her ears red. It was no secret that she was indeed piss broke and couldn't afford to fill her fridge.

Finally having a bite to eat instead of a mere nibble here and there, she was visibly full. Just as she was about to finish her last bite, Pamela's phone rang. With all her power, she attempted to keep the feeling of being full. As the last morsels of food hit her stomach she was left in temporary happiness, only to know she'd probably wouldn't have another meal like this in awhile.

"I just wish I didn't have to keep struggling like this, but I couldn't pay for school..."  she silently muttered to herself as she held her head in her hands. "And I am not going to degrade myself to get money either..."

Pamela finally answered the rink dink cell she owned, "Hello! This is Pamela Walters speaking. May I ask who is calling?"

"Hey there baby!" the soothing voice of her mother called out, " I'm just calling to see what my beautiful daughter is up to.."

Pamela's stress and worries fluttered away at the soothing tone of her mother's voice. Pressing down  on her temples, she let out a tired sigh. "I'm fine ma, just finishing up my side work so I can get home. What's with the late call? Everything alright?"

"I'm fine baby. Just worried about you is all..." the tone of her voice off, clearly stating something was wrong.

Here she goes again, Pamela though before speaking, "You sure everything is alright?"

"I am absolutely sure, how is work coming for you?"

The quick subject change from her mom told her to leave it be. It always seemed to get like this, her mom called out the blue, her voice sounded odd, and she'd change the subject. Pamela couldn't really force her mother to tell her what was going on. Her mom was never really one to display her personal problems, or ask for help. The crazy thing was just how much her mom really needed her.

"You know you can talk to me about anything right? I love you and I will never judge you no matter what the circumstance is. Just please tell me. I constantly worry about you when you get in these moods. I will do anything for you. You need anything, even if I don't have the money, I will get you it somehow.." she stated to her mom.

"Don't worry about me.." her mom sighed.

"Your my mom, it's my job to worry about you. It's okay. You don't have to tell me now, but don't hesitate in the future, okay? I love you mom. Be safe."

Hanging up the phone, Pamela finished her side work.  Trying her hardest  to get her work done, a few things prevented her from doing such;  1. Her mother's strange behavior and 2. And the worry coursing through her veins.