The Fiancee - 1

Part 1 - Jiao Hui (The Encounter)

AIMEE was inside her room when her brother told her that their dad wants to talk to her in private.

Natakot siya. Her dad is kind of an authoritative father. He always seems to be irritable and busy at all times. She could barely see him at home.

A lot of questions were running through her mind while heading towards her parents' bedroom.

What could have happened?

Why would dad want to talk to me personally?

Anong ginawa ko?

May ginawa ba akong mali?

Those were just a few of the questions that baffled her. As she knocked through the door, her hands were cold and clammy. On her fourth knock, her dad let her in.

"Dad?" She muttered as she entered the room. She then approached him and kissed his cheek. He gestured for her to sit on the couch. 

"Kumusta ka na, shobe?" Just like in most Filipino-Chinese families, she's fondly called 'shobe' because she's the youngest daughter.

"I'm okay, Dad."

"Good. Good." He cleared his throat and then added, "I presume you're friends with your ahia's bestfriend, JC?"

"JC Yu, Dad?"

"Yes."

"Yup, I know him, Dad. Pero hindi kami close. Why?"

He cleared his throat again. "You and JC are getting married."

Wow! What the...?!

If she wasn't sitting, she's quite sure she could have collapsed or fainted. She just looked at him, trying to assess if he's just messing around. But he's serious, so freaking serious.

She didn't know exactly how she felt that time. Her father was just staring at her.

She started laughing.

Gosh, I know we're Fil-Chinese but I believe that we're the modern ones. I never imagined that I'd end up with someone who's hand-picked by my parents. I believe that movies or teleseryes tend to exaggerate the Chinese fixed marriage thingy. Hindi naman kasi talaga nangyayari yan sa mga Filipino-Chinese nowadays. Noon siguro sa panahon nina Daddy, oo, but now hindi na. 

So when she heard what her dad said, she laughed.

Ano 'to? Seryoso ba 'to?

She just can't believe it so she kept on laughing. Her dad looked puzzled. He was confused as to why she's laughing so hard.

"Aimee, this is not a laughing matter!" His loud voice made her snap back.

"But, Dad? Seryoso?"

"Do I look like I'm kidding? You have to prepare. Magmi-meet ang Mommy mo and Mommy ni JC for the wedding plans. You'll get married after your birthday next month."

For Christ's sake, I'm just 18 years old! Tapos ikakasal na ako? 

She went out of her parents' room. Nagpasya siyang magkulong sa kanyang kuwarto. She was so mad. Galit na galit siya sa mga magulang niya. Galit rin siya sa kuya niya. He didn't even give her a warning. Imposibleng wala itong alam sapagkat bestfriend nito si JC.

Nag hunger strike siya sa loob ng dalawang araw. Pinapadalhan siya ng pagkain pero hindi niya naman kinakain. Honestly, gutom na gutom na siya, para na siyang hihimatayin but she didn't care. She wanted to show her dad how stubborn she could be. Kinausap siya ng kuya niya and he said that if she's still not gonna eat, JC will come over.