Chapter 1: Rescued

The day seemed dark and hopeless as thunder cracked in the distance. Holding her breath, Shyla waited for the terrifying sound of rusted hinges. ~creeeeak~ Her heart stopped as her torturer approached her stiff form. No words were spoken as he reached for her dirty, tear stained face. His hands were always rough and cold, he smelt of sweat and motor oil. These were the only scents she had from the possible outside world. There was never a lot of light for her to see his face but she knew he was enjoying the pain and fear he caused her. His voice was harsh, empty and dead as he spoke during the times he took her.

"You will never escape me, never be free from my touch or my voice. Forever will you know who rules your very existence."

Heart pounding in her chest as she waited for him to be done so as he would leave to the darkness. Darkness, it seemed to be her only comfort from the hell he forced upon her. She was relieved as he finished desecrating her body and slamming the door as he left.

I want to leave but it has been so long I don't know if I would be able to live if freedom came to me. He would find me again and this might get worse then it already is.

A shuffling noise caused her heart to race. She held her breath and silently prayed for it to just be her imagination playing a cruel joke on her nerves. A sound that seemed like a snort came from a far corner followed by a clicking noise. Shyla scooted into the wall behind her makeshift bed.

"Stay away please."

Came her broken plea to the intruder.

"I'm here to help you not harm you. Please keep quiet so as I can get you out of here safely."

This voice sounded powerful and protecting, as if the tone alone was a promise to protect her. Gulping she relaxed a little up until she noticed the unnatural glow of his eyes. Something inside her screamed out for her to run as fast as she could. It was screaming that this man was a monster, something to be feared, someone that could hurt her worse than her current torturer could. This caused her to flee as the warmth of his skin touched her cold flesh. Scrambling to the door she began banging on it, screaming out for help from the beast she feared.

"HELP, PLEASE HELP ME! THERE IS A STRANGE MAN..."

Her cries were cut short as he cupped her mouth and hushed her.

"Do you really think that is a smart idea? He would beat you or worse eat you while you are screaming. Do you really want that?"

He was staring straight at her, watching her closely, waiting for her to submit. Closing her eyes she shook her head stiffly and clenched her fists.

"Hey do you have the target?"

A quiet voice asked from the darkness. A clicking noise was heard before he spoke.

"Yes, are we clear to move?"

Click.

"No hostile is moving your way. I can try and get him occupied but chances are slim. Do you want me to try?"

Click.

"Work your magic man."

Click.

"Affirmative."

Within seconds the door swung open and his face was enraged.

"WHERE ARE YOU?! I CAN SMELL YOU DOG BUT MY EYES ARE DETERMINED NOT TO SEE YOU OR MY TOY! COME OUT AND QUIT HIDING FROM ME COWARD!"

Good he managed to at least hide us since distraction was a bust.

The merc thought as he watched the enraged beast. Clinging desperately to the mysterious man, Shyla held her breath. Her eyes were shut tight but with a soft nudge they shot open and she ran with him. Never relaxing her grip on his hand.