IV

After discovering the bodies, the officers immediately restrained Margaret and called it in. Within thirty-five minutes, the house was surrounded by forensics, yellow tape and police cars. The bodies had been removed and were on their way to the morgue.

The neighbours had slipped out of their homes, all dressed in night gowns, pyjamas or clothing that was obviously not prepared. Some gathered along the yellow tape, whilst others stood on their lawns, amazed and fearful as to what exactly had happened to cause such a fuss.

Margaret watched them with seething eyes as she was led across her lawn, handcuffed and restrained by two male officers of broad build.

'How dare they claim any right to view this.'

"We will get our revenge. They will be tortured and horrified when they learn the truth, that none of them had even realised Mother and Father had perished. And so long ago now, they truly are useless, had they noticed minor details and not major ones of gossip worth, they may have known sooner."

'But that's what we relied on. The stupidity of their brown nosing.'

The sound of the commotion around them and the sirens that still rung stopped the two officer's from hearing Margaret's vocalised thoughts.

"Watch your head freak." One of the officers stated, forcing her into the back of the police car.

They looked at her in disgust after putting on her seat belt.

Her lips stretched into a wide grin as she eyed them off like meat. "Officer Gaff and Jenkins, I will remember that."

They became uneasy, and quickly shut the door.

She had been taken to the police station and was awaiting interrogation. Sitting on a metal chair, her hands cuffed and resting on a metal table, it had been several hours, though she had no way to really measure time. All she knew was it had to at least be mid morning.

"What are we going to do now?"

'Do not worry, we will be fine. Let me do the talking. You have not lied, they will not be angry.'

"Why am I here? I want to go home. I have not done anything wrong."

'Yes we have, we killed Mother and Father. They do not like people who do that, no matter the reason. And we can never go home, they will put us in a place with others they see as similar to us.'

"I do not want to go."

"I don't think you'll be going anywhere any time soon." A husky voice startled her.

"I bet you are dying to know why there is no trace of them in the house, no pun intended." She leant back and forced her cuffed hands behind her head for effect.

"That's one reason I'm here, could you clear that up for me?" The man sat down. "My name is Gordon by the way." He took a seat and began laying his paper work out on the table.

"You know, I could remove that coffee stain on your shirt, no washing required." She watched for his reaction, a slight raise of one eyebrow was all she received. "It almost perfectly blends in to the brown of your coat. I assume it was undone when you spilt it and, therefore, you have kept it buttoned. It hasn't been washed since, so it must have been this shift. Looks like you were holding too much and it spilt. Am I correct?"

His face did not change, the previously raised eyebrow staying where it belonged.
"Yes, you are. I take it that would be my hint as to why we were previously unable to find evidence of your parents?"

"My dear, you are good. Am I to assume they have given up? You said 'previously', meaning you must not be looking anymore." Her eye gave a minor twitch, she knew her vocal assumption was not correct.

"Actually, we found a crack beneath the bottom step of your staircase. I'm guessing you didn't think to use a mirror?" He left a short pause before continuing. "Well we did, and in that crack there was blood, which we presume is your mother's, though we won't know for sure until the results are back."

Her heart began thumping, 'How could we miss a crack?'

"Also, the wooden bench in your kitchen had blistered varnish, as if scolding hot water had splashed it, and it's not close enough to the stove to deem a normal accident."

Gordon watched her, it was his turn to check for a reaction, some guilt or worry to appear. Her left eye lightly twitched again, but her smile remained.

"Mother has lived in that house for thirty years, it is not surprising if it is her blood. And if hot water in the kitchen is all you have, I think we are finished."

"Oh, I didn't mean to mislead you, of course that's not all. After finding the blood, we pulled up the floor and found a pool of old blood, which is less than five years old. We also found traces of someone elses blood, which we presume is yours. Also, those burns on your arms, looks like they were painful. It says here you were admitted to Gotham General Hospital for third degree burns and damaged bones. Apparently the burns were from boiling water, which might explain the blistered varnish that you didn't know about."

Her blood raced through her veins, seemingly threatening to burst.

"They are doing the autopsies right now and the blood results should be finished shortly. Do you want to tell me what they are going to find?"

She stayed silent, smiling wide and closing her eyes with a slight shake of the head.
Her vision had began to blur, memories of that day swam through her brain. She did not feel regret for what she had done.