Chapter ~Thiry-One~

Beginne am Anfang

            My ringtone cut him off. I fished out my phone and was about to press end call but Marcus grabbed it and flipped it open.

            “What’s wrong?”

            Confused, I watched him as his face paled. He pulled the phone away from his ear an inch as a high voice shouted through the phone, “HE’S GONE!”

            “What do you mean? Where is he? He’s can’t even walk!”

             “He’s not here Marcus!” The voice sobbed. “He’s gone! The door was open when I came back! Marcus, he’s not here. Nathan’s –”

            I couldn’t hear anything else. Kristy’s voice was completely ignored as Marcus and I just stared at each other. Horror was written all over his face, and I could just imagine what I must have looked like.

            We practically flew out of the room. I almost fell down the stairs where mom was waiting obviously worried by all the shouting.

            “Ry–”

            I let my face show all my emotion I was holding in as I looked at my mom. “Mom, Nathan– I– he– H-he’s in trouble and I have to go– I have to– he–”

            “You might want to call your husband, Mrs. Kenneth.” Marcus said. She nodded her pale face and we continued our sprint out of my house. We jumped into Marcus’s car and he began speeding to Nathan’s house. I swear he already ran a stoplight. In the back of my mind I heard a siren and Marcus cuss.

            “Your phone is ringing.”

            “Huh?” I looked down at my phone. It read, Fucker. I answered and growled, “Not now Taylors–”

            “Uptown Gardens, Pattson Avenue, number 34.” I heard him say a little breathlessly. “That’s my house. My uncle said to stay over at a friend’s for a while. He said he’s dealing with a client.”

            “If you haven't noticed I’m not your friend and I don't ca–”

            “It’s Nathan!” He yelled over me, “I know it is. I haven’t seen him since…earlier this week. My uncle leaves home every night and comes back drunk and fricken happy. Kenneth, he has Nathan. The other day, he called him his client. Marcus’s girlfriend is calling every human alive looking for him. I swear if you don’t get your sorry ass over there right now and protect your boyfriend, I’m calling NASA…men in black, SOMEONE, that can kick everyone’s ass; his and yours! You know, you’ve been the shittiest jerk I’ve ever–”

            I pressed ‘end.’ “What was that about?” Marcus glanced at me.