Setting the Dark on Fire: Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Cynthia Karen Martinez

Dedicated to Miss Cindy Martinez because despite her major, irrational obsession with Trey Songz, she's still an AMAZING person... hahaha love ya babe! lol :]

it'll get better i promise! & i know there isnt enough werewolf or vampire stories on here, so i thought i would contribute one of my own. hehe. and i do tend to write in fragments, but i will try not to.

thanks for reading,

seleneluna :]

-----

Chicago Pictures on the side --->

First song on the side is My first favorite of Adele's. Milena and I also love our hometown. I wanted to have an important song to me as the first song. Hometown Glory by Adele :] --->

_____

There comes a moment where you come to the realization that you can either surrender or you can make something extraordinary happen.

-S. J.

_____

It was the same dream. I was running in a red ball gown through a dense forest that in no way was near Chicago. I would see a blur then I would change the direction of my running. My face made it seem like I was running from something. Then, out of nowhere I saw a blur and I was gone.

I woke up with a jolt. As I did every time I had that dream. It was too vivid and yet so unrealistic. In the dream I barely recognized myself. I looked beautiful and unforgettable. As opposed to real life where I thought I was pretty but was totally forgettable. And the only reason I thought I was pretty was because that's what the husbands in the foster families would say before they would touch me. That's why I only wore hoodies and sweats. And they seemed to work most of the time.

I've never been to New York. I've lived my whole life in Chicago, Illinois. And to me Chicago is the city of lights.

I've lived most of my life not so seaminglessly making my way from foster home to foster home. Perhaps there was some part of me that knew the day would come where I would have to leave this life behind. My life was empty. I either changed foster homes if they were yellers and shouters or if they even laid a hand on me or if I actually got to like them. Better leave them before they get the chance to give you back. I learned that the difficult way.

But anyways, this isn't about my shitty life before. This isn't about Milena Carrera's struggle in foster care. Or Milena Carrera's hardcore life of almost constant molestation. And definitely not an inspiring coming of age thing. This is about how my life was about to change. I was in for a rude awakening. Rude awakening to everything.

_

It was the near the end of August. It's been almost two months since I graduated high school. I was going to be a senior this year but I took summer classes whenever I could to get away from said foster homes. I had all the credits to necessary to graduate from that hell hole, so I left immediately. I checked my watch.

6:30AM

The sun was about to rise.

Carefully, I got up. And just as I straightened up, a gust of cold wind slapped my face. It felt so cool and fresh. I was sleeping on the roof. This wasn't some crap roof either. This roof belonged to one of the buildings in front of Millennium Park's "the Crown Fountain." And I could see most of the Chicago skyline around me. Including the Willis Tower (formally known as the Sears Tower) toward the west. The Willis Tower is the tallest building in the United States. But in order to catch the sun rising I walked over to the eastern ledge of the building and sat on it with my legs crossed. I didn't want to let my legs hang over the ledge because I think there's always some lady looking up buildings, ready to scream when she saw a jumper.

I waited there till I saw at least half the sun over the horizon. Already covering most of the dull, gray sky in luscious pinks and soft oranges. Today would be a beautiful, clear day. Then I got up. Immediately I felt an arm around my shoulders and a something jabbing into my neck before I blacked out.

_

Was it possible to have the same dream twice in one day? I was having the same dream but it was a bit slower. I saw details on my dress. It was encrusted with white and red gems. And there was even gems pinned in my hair. And I was barefoot? And instead of seeing the blur that chased and erased me, I saw a man running circles around me, taunting me, and finally grabbing me from the waist. The man was the thing that was chasing me I was sure of it. And then everything went black again.

The blur couldn't be a man. No man could run that fast. Right?

_

I awoke to soft murmurs and soft rumbling that reminded me of an airplane. But it couldn't be so I dismissed it and focused on the murmurs. And wanting to hear some information I kept my eyes shut.

"She should be up by now." a man muttered urgently.

"I did it just how you said." another man muttered defensively.

"You better have or it's all our asses." the first man replied.

"She's going to be alright, okay? We're near home anyways. Then the actual doctors there can wake her properly." the second man said nervously.

Properly? Why would abductors bother waking me up properly, I was fucking kidnapped. And why the hell would they care if I was alright? Just then I noticed I was lying on smooth sheets and my head was resting on a pillow far too comfortable for any hostage. I also noticed there were no restraints on me.

"Don't worry gentlemen," a soft feminine voice said from farther away. "Princess Milena has awakened."

My eyes fluttered open.

PRINCESS!?