Chapter 14- Competitive Edge

Start from the beginning

Elena just rolled her eyes at her sister's dramatics and pulled her up off of the sofa before dragging her towards the kitchen. Roxanne on the other hand pouts and tries to drag her feet, the sting of losing to Kol was a blow to her and her competitive ego; looking up to the amused faces in the room she catches the victorious grin on a smug Kol and glares.

"This isn't over Mikaelson" She warns, doing the 'I'm watching you' motion before being forcibly yanked through the doorway.

Kol just snickers and waves mockingly.

~8~

"You better have a good reason for making me lose" Roxanne huffed, crossing her arms as she leant against the work unit.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Elena whisper yelled.

"I could ask you the same thing...he was this close to blinking- this close, Elena!" the older woman mimed squinting her eyes as she held her thumb and her index finger just millimetres apart

"That's not important, Roxanne"

"Well I beg to differ...that smug bastard in there isn't gonna let me live this defeat down!"

"Roxanne Marie Gilbert"

"Uh oh, full name, I sense a lecture coming on"

"Why are they here, in our house again? why are you acting so casual and friendly with them? You know what they've done to us!" The doppelganger shrieked

"Well I'm liking them a hell of a lot more than those to guard dogs you've got playing tug of war over you"

"What have Stefan and Damon got to do with this?"

"Nothing; just thought I'd try out a new insult...whatcha think? ...love how those two are the first people that pop into your head"

"Would you take this serious"

"No, Lena, I can't... the sting of defeat is still too fresh"

"It was a stupid staring contest!"

"And this is a stupid conversation but you don't see me complaining"

She threw her hands up in the air "...That's all you've been doing!"

"I call bullshit...It's called being sassy and insulting"

"You are unbelievable"

"I know right"

By now Elena was completely sick and tired of her older sister's nonchalant attitude concerning the first family of vampires whereas everyone in the living room found the whole confrontation hilarious- minus the two brothers who felt rather insulted but that was nothing new.

Roxanne tried to hide her amusement as she watched her sister's anger and frustration sizzle and bubble in front of her, she was like a volcano just about to erupt. The older Gilbert knew she probably shouldn't be deliberately baiting her younger sister not only was it all too amusing for the Gilbert with the fiery temper to watch but it also felt good, perhaps too good, to get underneath her sister's skin; the bitter side of Roxanne relished in unravelling Elena.

"Urgh- I give up!" Elena's screech brought Roxanne out of her daydream

"Give up what?" The sassy woman was finding it incredibly hard not to laugh at the doppelganger's expression

"You haven't listened to barely anything I've said" Elena complained, one step away from stomping her foot however, she knew that Roxanne would never let her live it down.

"Yeah... it tends to happen whenever you speak, sort of becomes white noise" She replied almost sheepishly causing Elena to just stare wide mouthed in disbelief.

A roar of laughter could be heard from the other room triggering both Gilbert girls to remember that not only were they not alone but also that their current company could hear everything without trying to. Elena shot a glare at her older sister who just returned an unapologetic shrug as if to say 'what can you do'.

When Elena just groaned and stomped out of the room, Roxanne finally gave in to her amusement and sniggered with a face splitting grin, one that she tried to cover up with a cough as she too joined everyone else is the other room.

"Well, well, well the loser has returned" The youngest male Mikaelson smirked with a teasing glint, baiting Roxanne.

"...See what I mean!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms up before moving further into the room but not before throwing a weary glance back at the now empty kitchen, uneasy sweeping over her very being however, Kol once again caught her attention before she could investigate the feeling further.

Little did the brunette know, that a dark shadow lingered just outside the kitchen window...waiting.

~8~

Later that night, Elijah found himself once more standing by the window in his brother's mansion, deep in thought about a particular sarcastic brunette, she was beginning to become a regular occurrence in his thoughts, daydreams and his dreams and nightmares whenever he actually managed to find sleep that is. Tonight was one of those endless nights where sleep alluded the suited Mikaelson; his thoughts were in turmoil over the overheard conversation between his brother and the oldest Gilbert.

Somehow she had managed to get his reclusive, closed off older brother to open up to her with just a few words and that both frustrated and amazed him at the same time; it also made him feel horrible... for centuries Elijah had tried to convince himself that leaving Finn in his coffin was for the oldest Mikaelson's own good and survival but hearing how angry and betrayed Finn actually felt; it made guilt and self-loathing swell up inside.

He glanced down at the swirling amber liquid in his glass as he contemplated what to do now and how exactly to fix the rips between his siblings and himself.

"Have we truly become too broken?" He found himself voicing the question a loud to the other presences in the room.

When no one answered he turned to face his older brother "No words can even begin to express how sorry..."

"It does not matter anymore" Finn shook his head leaving his siblings confused and shocked but before any of them could reply the shrill sound of Elijah's ring tone cut through the tense atmosphere.

The suited Original sighed inaudibly before taking his phone out of his inner pocket. A miniscule smile flittered across his lips when he read the caller ID however, despite the swell of warmth he felt whenever he heard, spoke or read her name, that didn't stop the dread and confusion from building like a tidal wave as he answered the call

"The lovely Roxanne to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Elijah!?"

The youngest Gilbert sounded hysterical and close to tears however, his words sent a bolt of alertness and fear through not only his body but the rest of the Mikaelson clan.

"Elijah!? Roxy's gone!"

Dun Dun Dun! I'm sorry I couldn't resist...so sorry this is such a late update but one of my lecturers decided to spring a mini assignment on me without any god damn warning, she wanted me to write a ballad; a freaking poem! I loathe poetry.

I promise that the next update will not take as long- hopefully. If needs be I'll probably upload a couple of short chapters in between big ones. The ending of this chapter may seem rushed but I wanted to hurry up and update it- I'll go back when I've got time and change it.

But any ways tell me what you think...who do you think took her? I will tell you this- the next few chapters you'll find out more about Roxy and what's so different about her

^>��o�