Chapter 16

It seems like time is running out. For school, for my relationship with Malcolm and now for Becky. I realise that this news shouldn't affect me so much, but when Rita phoned to inform me that she is in the hospital, I just had to know.

Malcolm's lack of words fortunately didn't mean a lack of action. He grabs all of our things from the sand as I try to call Rae and Zoella in from the water.

Ha, feel like a mom!

After a little rioting, all four of us are packed into the car and on our way to the local hospital. Thankfully, Malcolm didn't need to be directed.

Or rather, thankfully, I didn't have to talk to him.

Truthfully, I just don't get why he can't answer such a simple question. It's just a tattoo.

Or is it?

Apparently, my face shows my thoughts. I find myself staring at Malcolm and him looking at me panicky. "Are you okay?", he asks cautiously.

Oh, "it" speaks.

"What do YOU think?" I ask, forgetting that my two friends must be very confused at this moment with all the new developments. His eyes shift towards them. "Do you really wanna get into this right now?", he asks before pulling in at the hospital parking lot. "Whatever, Malcolm", I say and unbuckle my seat belt as fast as I can.

Get into what? Does this mean he has something to hide? What could be possibly be hiding? Why won't he tell me?

My legs bring me to the front desk faster than I anticipated. "Bec-", "Max, darling.", I am interrupted by Rita who walks over to hug me. "I'm so thankful you're here." She walks me over to what I assume to be Becky's room. "She's been asking to see you."

Sure enough, there's Becky. In a stiff looking hospital bed with a pale blue blanket over everything, but her face. Her right arm sticking out and her face turned to the window on her left. I want to walk over and sit at her beside, but it's like I'm stuck.

Immobile.

It's an odd feeling that comes over me. As much as I just want to call someone to take me out of this place, something holds me back. Something makes me stay.

This internal war is short-lived when Becky turns her head towards me and breathes out, "Max."