Chapter 10

Exhaustion. That's what I make out as I scan my face in the mirror before leaving for school on Friday morning. It slides down my long fish tail braid and oozes out my pores.

I just look so tired.

I am, but I force myself out the door anyway. My only real comfort being that today is Friday, two days without ugly teachers and stupid dragging lessons. Oh, and one other thing. The monthly sleepover.

The monthly sleepover is hosted by the first one who fell asleep at the previous one. And according to Zoella and Rae, last month, that old timer was me.

Although I have already gotten all we need two weeks ago, I still feel unprepared and as if though I'm forgetting something. I spend my entire trip to school pondering on that suspicion.

_________

"Maxi-pad!", my older cousin says in that same voice old ladies use when speaking to small dogs while pinching my cheeks. He has always had a thing for my cheeks. Or just cheeks in general. His name is Alonzo, he's named after our late grandfather's yacht. He's a 22 year old bartender on a cruise ship, thus sharing the old man's love for the water.

He's, let's just say, "well-known" amongst the ladies. The last time, about ten months ago, he visited while Becky was over. Rae had an emergency and needed me, so I had to leave Becky and my cousin together. All on their own. Alone. Ever since that day, he's been a bit weird when she's around or I brought him up and the same went for him. I'm not one to pry, so I didn't know what happened. It was a 'Don't ask, don't tell' situation.

Nevertheless, he's my lifelong confidante, so when he asks me what's new, I inform him.

"Well then, cuz. If that's what's good for you, then I support you.", he says before taking a sip of tea after I finish my story. "I'm glad you're back. I really am.", I say while smiling sheepishly. My mother enters the living room and sits opposite us. She asks him about work and Miguel, his younger brother. And just like that I am forced right back into the background. That's how my mother likes me; seen and not heard. I get up and slide into the bathroom.

Exhaustion. Again it comes over me like a wave as I glance at my reflection in the mirror. It's like the past few weeks of events have left their marks on my skin, making it look dull and faded. I splash water onto my face in an attempt to appear fresh.

Lies. And more lies. You still look like the dead, babygirl.

Aggressive knocking at the front door reminds me of my weekend plans. Zoella and Rae are here. I dry my hands quickly after fanning my face and hurry out the bathroom.

Surely, there in the passageway, stand my friends both with their bags at their feet. Rae has her hands on her hips as I reach down to help them with their overly packed luggage. "The service around here sucks.", she whines jokingly. I open my mouth to reply to her with an equally snarky comment, when Alonzo sweeps down and grabs all their bags, "Allow me.", he says in a low voice and curls one corner of his mouth. My mother and I roll our eyes in unison.

Ha, look at that. For once, she actually sees what I see.

Zoella has had a brief encounter with Alonzo earlier in the year when she found him and her older sister chasing each other around in their underwear in their large kitchen. So she simply mumbles a thank you and follows me to my room. Rae, however, indulges herself in his company, laughing lightly and occasionally brushing his arm. Zoella and I exchange looks after witnessing this scene.

You see, Rae's pitch black hair and olive skin tone gain her attention, mostly of all the wrong sorts. It's not that Rae is boy crazy, it's just that this always happens and Zoella and I are left to pick up the pieces. At the end she always vows to change, but let's face it, Alonzo isn't exactly different.

After about five minutes, both Rae and Alonzo join us in my room. I shoo my muscular relative out and we settle the sleeping arrangements.

"So,", Zoella speaks from her place on my bed, while I gather my stuff before heading to the shower. "are you gonna tell us why you were humming and smiling to yourself earlier today?" and she briefly shares a glance with Rae, who is sitting cross-legged on the floor tying her medium length hair. "Oh...", is all I am able to say as a blush threatens to rise in my cheeks. To this, their similar brown eyes light up and they look up at me attentively.

Well, then

Well, then.