Chapter 12

I'm the last to sleep and the first to rise. Rae's hosting next month's sleepover and I have photos to prove it. I sneak out to get the breakfast foods and prepare myself for the day ahead. We're heading to the mall, because Zoella needs a new lipstick.

About three hours later, we're out of the house and ready to tackle all shopping troubles that cross our paths. "Girls on a mission." is what my mother croaked as we went out the front door and she was right. We had a highly detailed plan on how to execute without being executed. Malls are infamous for being cramped and stuffy.

"That's definitely your colour, girl!" Rae tells Zoella while I scroll through my timeline, "Don't you think so Ma-- Maaaax!", she whines after realising I have been resting myself on the comfortable bench inside the clothing store. "What?" I giggle and look up at my angry girlfriends, "the Wi-Fi's free." I see get a notification of a status change:

Becky Richards:
*We don't talk anymore and it's not my fault.*

Who does she think she is? Playing the victim like she has the right to.

"Haha." I scoff aloud, making Rae and Zoella sit down at either side of me, their curiosity clearly overpowering their anger.

The two of them finish reading the post and I scoff again, the taste in my mouth becoming bitter. "She's clearly just looking for attention.", Zoella says after considering Becky's words. I tap 'Like', then block and delete her along with her phony behaviour from my virtual life.

Little bitch.

______

We decide to have a simple lunch at McDees and we get in the line to order. Rae passes judgement on the speed of the service (or lack thereof) and Zoella and I huff in agreement.

While scanning the menus up above the serving counter, my eyes fall down and land on a familiar looking figure. The line is long, but I'm certain I know who that is. Stanley.

Oh yes, of course. Why not?

I roll my eyes and shuffle my feet. Stanley looks around, as if though sensing being watched. He looks nervous as he steps up to the counter to place his order. I'm too far to hear his order, but it looks like it is for two.

Two? Okay...

Rae nudges me in my side to gain my attention. I break my eyes away from him and turn to see Zoella's brows raised with puzzlement. I flick my eyes to the ordering counter and both of them look forward instinctively. Rae's mouth forms a small 'o'. At that very moment, Stanley collects his package of food and turns around, keeping his head low. "Do you think he saw us?", Zoella whispers. Nobody answers, because we're too nosy to care. He walks up to this table slightly adjacent to queue of customers. The girls and I aren't too concealed by the rest of the hungry people, but it's good enough. Stanley sits opposite this person who has their back faced towards us. "Is that? No...", Rae says softly in disbelief. Stanley and this mysterious individual have what it seems to be a tiff, but they leave shortly afterwards. The mysterious individual's identity is now revealed. Rachel Moore, the girl he dated before we met. She attends the community college one town over and is a part time model. "Probably getting back together then.", I shrug and say, breaking the silence and facing the counter. Zoella and Rae follow suit after a low exchange of words.

'Onwards and upwards' reads a little boy's t-shirt in fat, yellow letters under a blasting rocket. Yellow is Stanley's favourite colour.

Onwards and upwards, babygirl. Onwards and upwards.