Chapter 11

After a deliberate lengthy shower, my guests stare at me with a mixture of annoyance and anticipation. I sigh gently and make my way to my dresser. It's a hand-me-down with quite a few strains and years done to it, a true antique. Their steely eyes seep holes into the back of my head as they wait for all of my attention.

"Well, his name is Malcolm," I start out, looking at this space between them and place my hands in my lap. "and he's my friend."

My friendship with Zoella and Rae is relatively new, nearly a year and three quarters. They weren't around before Malcolm left on his gap year.

I tell them our story and try as hard as I can not to leave anything out. Zoella gapes at me as Rae just stares at me through her thick eyelashes.

Clearly, they're processing all this, because they're NEVER this silent.

Zoella clears her throat and comes over to me, she positions herself at my feet while taking both my hands. "When do we get to meet him?", she asks with glistening eyes, her smile growing rapidly.

Why am I suddenly nervous?

I gulp quietly, "Sure, why not?" Truthfully, I'm not that sure.

__________

The rest of the night flies by due to our habitual way of doing things; gossiping, sharing childhood stories and eating. This time around, Rae decides that we should ask each other one question that we have to ask honestly. She goes first.

"Did you and Miguel really hook up last year?", she asks Zoella who sits with eyes wide open, clearly caught off guard. I steal a glance at Rae, who's genuinely excited for the answer. Honestly, I am too.

Miguel and Alonzo might share genes, but their personalities differ. Alonzo and I have been close since I could remember, whereas his brother couldn't hate me more. I think it's because he believes that I always try to be better than him. He couldn't be more wrong, because what he doesn't realise is that, if you have a sucky attitude, your outcomes could be sucky too. He was born a rebel, now his hair is far overgrown (as in brushing his collarbone) and he has an eyebrow piercing. He's been suspended so many times, it's a miracle he's still in school. He's selfish and a total jerk, but I suppose it's all part of his charm.

Zoella inhales deeply and straightens up, "Yes," she says. "it was no big deal and we both promised never to bring it up again," her face flushes and she shifts a bit. "But he's a jerk so who knows whether he kept his promise.", she concludes with a snicker. I reach out and rub her arm sympathetically. She smacks me away after a while. We laugh lightly.

Next it's my turn and Rae asks, "Do you think Becky meant to hurt you?" A sombre atmosphere blankets over us and all the attention returns to me. Flashbacks of the past few days replay in my head and it's like it never stopped. That sinking feeling starts and my eyes begin to sting with the formation of tears. I shuffle uncomfortably, biting back my emotions.

I hate this feeling.

"I'm so sorry, Max. I didn't mean to-", she apologises profusely. I lift one finger to get her to stop, but by then it's too late as I start crying. Again. I thought this part was passed. But no, as I try to rather myself, it becomes transparent to me that I haven't actually dealt with it yet. I mean, yeah, sure it's still fresh, but I thought I felt better. Surely that counts for something.

"Honestly guys, I don't know. Maybe she did," I manage to say after drying my tears. "Guess only she has that answer. Fact is, it happened and now I need to heal."

I sound so pathetic and needy. Like I'm practically exposing how weak I actually am. How much I needed to know just what she had to say. I hate this so much.