Chapter Five

WWI August, 1918
Second Battle of the Somme, France

My Dearest David,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. I have missed you dreadfully! I spend my days, counting down the hours as to when I shall see you again. And I have some good news to deliver! Our daughter, Joanna Elizabeth Lee, has been born. She is the prettiest little thing. She has your beautiful brown eyes and bowed lips and my auburn curls. Joanna makes me realize how much I miss you. I hope this terrible war ends soon so you can come back to me.

Your Wife,

Mary Grace Lee

David gently folded up the letter he had received from Mary Grace. His eyes teared up slightly at the news. He had a baby girl waiting back home for him.

"Hey buddy, what's wrong?" his friend Jeremiah asked, climbing into the truck, a rifle in hand.

"I'm a father." he choked.

Jeremiah smiled wide, "Really? That's awesome! Congratulations! What's the kid's name?"

"Joanna Elizabeth Lee. Mary Grace say she has my eyes."

"Little Joanna...I plan to meet her when this is all over." Jeremiah clapped his shoulder. "She can meet her Uncle Jeremiah."

"Now, don't you go spoiling her." David teased.

"I'm going to buy her candy and dresses and toys...we're going to best best buddies." Jeremiah laughed. Suddenly, a call sounded from the distance. His friends smile fell slightly. "That's the call."

"You ready?" David started up the truck. His job was to get the soldiers down to the lines safely. Jeremiah was one of those soldiers.

Jeremiah shook his head. "I will never be ready to kill other men." he stared off into the distance and shook his head. "You better get going David, or the sergeant will have your neck."

"You're right. We should go." David waited a moment to make sure the rest of the soldiers had made it on board. He pressed on the gas and the truck rumbled forward.

The truck shook and bounced across the muddy terrain. Jeremiah was silent for the rest of the ride.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved