Case File 17: The Academy Epidemic

Start from the beginning

"I see you're still standing," Hunter smirked.

"Sitting," I corrected him, "but yes..." 

"These cadets will help me investigate this. In the meantime, you stay and rest."

"Of course." Hunter was the last to salute before they all left. As for Oliver, that nosy marten sat right next to me, with notebook and pen at the ready.

"I'm guessing you heard about my assignment?"

"Its my business to know you--until my book is finished." I playfully rolled my eyes.

"So you came here to train the cadets, huh?"

"Under the chief's orders. Although things weren't going so well in the beginning."

"Oh?"

"For the cadets, their skills were good..."

"But...?"

"But teamwork and everything else was all over the place."

>>>>>>>>>>>Flashback to Yesterday >>>>>>>>>>>

"Cadet Mark Hunter... Chris Valiant...Gabriel Howlsworth...Manny Leodore."

"Yes ma'am!" All four mammals stood before me. 

[The objective was to take me down, in the Rainforest course. Fail to do so, they would have a one-on-one self-defense training with me as punishment. Sergeant was to keep tabs on the time limit.]

"All members will be placed in their designated stations, according to my instructions." 

[Valiant was standing on the other side where the monkey bars were, Howlsworth was down below with Leodore, and Hunter was by the vines. I was on the plank from above.]

"You have ten minutes to complete this challenge," the polar bear bellowed. She picked up her whistle.

PHEW~~!!

I got a hold of a vine and started climbing. Valiant was already crossing the monkey bars as the others were climbing. I threw off Howlsworth by grabbing his vine, catching him off balance, and fell into the mud. 

[Seven minutes were remaining, and I was about to move when Valiant charged at me. I gave him the slip by jumping over him and onto the monkey bars. He tried to copy me, but~...]

[Oliver: He lost his balance.]

[Yup.]

He slipped, caught his foot in the bar, and then fell.

"Cadet Valiant is out," sergeant shouted, "Hunter...Leodore! Only five minutes remain! Let's move it!"

[Leodore slammed his foot on the bars to make me fall, but I used that to jump and kick him out.]

All that's left was Hunter. I blocked his right punch, and did a leg sweep, but Hunter jumped. He grabbed my arm and was about to flip me over, but I beat him to it.

SPLAT!!

"Time! Challenge over." Drill sergeant looked at her cadets, who were now covered in mud. 

"Get yourselves cleaned." I used a vine to slide down. 

[Oliver: Ahh~....so you're saying they forgot to work together.]

[Precisely...I told them to communicate to have a better strategy next time. However, I thought cadet Hunter wasn't on the same page.]

[How so?]