Chapter 52

°•°Steven's POV°•°

Shorty after the crash, I had woken up to minor injuries and a possible concussion. But, considering I had gotten into a car crash, both Emmie and I were very lucky to not have extensive injuries. If anything, Emmie had a worse outcome than myself.

Small shards of glass had gotten stuck in a gash on her forehead, and the doctors had to both pull out the sharp pieces and stitch the skin up. It was horrible to watch. Emmie had laid back on me as I rested on one of the emergency room beds, not knowing what pin would come to her minutes later.

I had never heard Emmie scream as loud as she did that afternoon.

Everyone in the emergency room listened or watched in horror as the small girl screamed in pain. Emmie had held onto me with a tight grip, her tears stained my shirt as I made attempts at comforting her.

Those few minutes seemed to of lasted for many hours.

And then, I began to wait for the most dreaded part of the day.

Lauren.

It wasn't that I dreaded her, it was that I didn't want to see her after I had gotten myself and our daughter into a car crash. Not to mention the fact that I took Emmie in the middle of the night.

"Mr. Yeun," a voice called out, snapping me out of my thoughts. I lifted my gaze and made eye contact with a nurse. "I've called your partner Lauren. She's on her way." I gave a small nod and the nurse returned the gesture with a smile before walking away.

"Momma is coming?" Emmie asked in a croaky voice. Considering I thought Emmie was fast asleep on my shoulder, hearing her suddenly speak out surprised me.

"Yeah," I replied. "We're going to go home."

Emmie lifted her head from my shoulder in order to look at me. "I don't want to see her," she said, her words shocking me. "I'm too scared to."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because she killed someone." The little girl on my lap looked down at the floor.

A small sigh escaped my lips, and I rubbed my temple. "She's not a murderer."

"She killed a baby," Emmie quickly replied.

I thought for a moment, trying to think of a way to explain what had happened to Emmie. In my mind, I was still mad at Lauren for not even telling me. However, after having time to sit and think about it, I realized Lauren's reasonings. "Remember your baby brother and how he died before he was born?" I asked Emmie, and she nodded. "And remember when your baby sister was born, and your mom didn't wake up for a long time?"

"Yeah," Emmie mumbled.

"Well, those things were traumatic for her," I continued. "Every time she tried to have a baby, something bad happened. So, when your mom found out she was pregnant again, she became scared and didn't know what else to do. She just didn't want to hurt another baby."

Emmie didn't reply to my words, so I continued on. "I was mad and scared when I found out too, but I know now that she was more scared than I ever was." I wrapped my arms around my daughter and pulled her in for a tight hug. "She's not a bad person, okay?"

"Okay."

•°•°•°•°•

It was around three thirty in the afternoon when Lauren finally came marching into the hospital waiting room, an angry expression glued to her tired face. She had a baby sling wrapped around her chest, Harper most likely asleep inside as Lauren supported her small body with one arm.